Website files missing on vol1_7, vol1_8 and vol2_8

Website files missing on vol1_7, vol1_8 and vol2_8

Since the 6th of February, we have been receiving a large number of reports of website files having disappeared from hosting volumes vol1_7, vol1_8 and vol2_8.

On hosting volume vol1_7 and vol1_8 it has been confirmed that data corruption problem has occurred, that has resulted in the loss of the files of some accounts on these volumes. iFastNet is currently investigating if any data can be recovered, but this will likely take some time, and it’s unsure how much can be restored.

Hosting volume vol2_8 is still being investigated.

Which components are affected by this issue

Hosting accounts located on hosting volumes vol1_7, vol1_8 and vol2_8. You can find the hosting volume of your account in the Details in the client area.

What issues may you see

Websites on these volumes may see a basic page saying only “403 Access denied”.

Additionally, any htdocs folders on these accounts may appear empty.

There are also reports suggesting that FTP functionality on these volumes is impacted.

When will this issue be resolved

We are doing our best to get these issues resolved as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we don’t have enough details to tell how soon that will be.

It’s unclear yet if any files have been lost completely or are only temporarily unavailable. I will update this topic if there is more information surrounding this.

What can you do to fix this

If you have a backup of your website files, you can try to restore it to your site. It’s unclear if we will be able to recover your website’s data, so restoring your website from your own backup will get it up and running faster and probably more complete.

If you don’t have a backup, you can try to restore your website using the existing database. By installing a fresh copy of the code of your website, and updating the configuration to use your existing database, you will probably be able to recovery most of your posts, pages and settings, since those are often stored in the database.

We are aware of the issue and are doing our best to get this resolved as soon as possible.

We completely understand that this may cause confusion and you will have additional questions. We are happy to provide any information we have to help you.

However, to keep the contents of this topic clean, clear and concise, we ask that you carefully read the Outage Communication Rules before posting.

In a nutshell:

• Please keep the posts about the outage in this topic, and all posts not about this outage outside of this topic.
  • Please post relevant questions only that have not been answered yet. It may be compelling to ask obvious questions like “when will this be fixed”, but basic information like that will be put in this message as soon as we know it.
  • Please carefully check the known symptoms and affected components.
    • If you are on the affected components, you are almost certainly affected by the outage. If so, please refrain from simply stating you are affected, it does not help get your service back up faster.
    • If you are not on the affected components but do experience all of the symptoms, please say so below so we can check if our list is incomplete.
    • If you do not experience all listed issues and are not on the components that are known to be affected, the issue you are experiencing is most likely not related to this outage. If so, please create a new topic in the Hosting Support category and describe the issue there.
  • If you say you are affected by the outage, please always include your website URL. I can’t check if you are affected by the outage if you don’t say which of your websites is affected.

Posts that do not follow these rules may be deleted without warning. This is to help ensure that all the relevant information is easily available to everyone reading this topic.

12 Likes

This happened exactly as you described on vol2_8 too.

1 Like

Yes, I’m seeing many reports suggesting that this volume is affected too. I’ve updated the post to include that volume.

Unfortunately, I haven’t heard anything from iFastNet about this issue.

7 Likes

I got an backup. Do you recommend just reuploading all the files or waiting for the issue to be resolved?

I just got an respond from ifastnet they told me this. I think they dont got any backup of the htdocs folders.

4 Likes

I recommend upload backup after the issue is resolved. Currently the disk is obiviously in an unstable state, you might end up having your backup uploaded to nothing if you do it now.

It’s always true here. You are the lucky one since you made a backup yourself before.

4 Likes

i already uploaded the backup since ifastnet recommended me to do so. But now i have an issue regarding the SSL Certificate, i tried reinstalling it in the InfinityFree panel and it always gives me the error that the CNames could not be found.

This sounds like the process of re-requesting instead of reinstalling.

You probably can check the old certificate and reinstall that. If you want to re-request, then just follow the instruction. Sometimes it’ll happen that while the client area says it’s “ready”, it’s not. Just try setting up the records again and wait.

5 Likes

This is also happening on my site, in hosting volume vol1000_8. My folder fossilfuelmap.com/htdocs is gone, and my website returns an error 403. Should I re-upload everything?

I have since received a similar reply from iFastNet.

The situation is that at least on vol1_7 and vol1_8, a storage corruption issue has occurred that has resulted in some website files being lost. iFastNet is currently trying to do data recovery to try and restore what they can, but it looks like they may not be able to restore everything, and definitely not the most recent data.

So for now, I think it’s safe to expect the worst, and assume your files are be lost. If you have a (somewhat recent) backup of your site, I would suggest to go ahead and restore it.

12 Likes

Just to state clearly: it’s still being investigated if any data can be recovered, and it will likely take a few weeks before we’ll know for sure. Until then, it’s very hard to say anything conclusively.

If we can recovery data, then of course we will do our best to recover as much as possible and get it back as fast as possible.

So please keep the topic clean, and refrain from begging for your files to be restored. If we are able to restore your files, we will do so as fast as we can. If not, then there is nothing we can do for you.

And no amount of posting will speed that up or give you preferential treatment.

6 Likes

I own two sites, as I told you before in one of the topics, and I have a backup copy of one site, which is a bit old, but it is sufficient for the purpose. So I would like to know if I restore the backup and the deleted files are restored, will the backup files be lost and replaced by the deleted files? I will develop it to be better than the deleted version, but if the first site version is uploaded? Will the second site’s files be returned? Because I don’t have any copies of the second site

Yes, and I would like to know if the database is at risk of deletion as well

I know you’re busy with a really big problem, but I want to be specific so I don’t waste any effort again.

Should I start now or wait for the outage incident to be over? I don’t have a backup meaning I might have to restart the site, I could check if i did make a backup but im not sure.

That’s a good question, I don’t know. I would expect that only files from the backup that are missing from the live site would be restored, but I will have to check to be sure.

No, your database is completely untouched by this issue, and still exists on your account with the latest data.

That’s up to you.

As far as I know, the “outage incident” itself was over very quickly. The problem is that a consequence of the incident was that the files from many accounts were lost.

iFastNet is trying to recover what files they can, but from what we know now, it’s pretty clear that:

• It will take quite some time for the data recovery to be done.
  • Not all data will be restored.

If you want to choose to wait for the data recovery and hope that your website will be restored, then you can, but know that it’s by no means guaranteed that your website will be recovered and restored to a working state.

You can try to restore/reconstruct your website yourself now, or you can wait and have the chance that you won’t have to do that. That’s up to you to decide.

8 Likes

Did you make sure you answered my questions because it is necessary to restart the site, and as I told you I have to be precise so as not to waste more effort?

To be absolutely safe, if you desire to restore your website from a backup and continue developing it from there, I’d recommend doing that on a new hosting account (which will hopefully be assigned to a different hosting volume, so there won’t be a chance of restoration overwriting your files).

I don’t know if that may affect restoration on the original volume, however (if the system will check if the domain is still present on the account before restoring the files, which I don’t think occurs but can’t know for sure).

9 Likes

Just to reiterate: yes, it’s terrible to lose your website. We completely agree that this is unacceptable, even for a free service. We know that maintaining the integrity of your data is the most important thing in a hosting service, and even with a free service you should not have to expect for your data to be lost. We always do what we can to keep your data safe as much as reasonably possible.

If you hate us for losing your files and swear to never upload another byte to our servers for destroying your site, I completely understand. I am asking you for your understanding, and I know that this is asking for a lot.

And I also want to ask you again to please follow the outage communication rules.

So please decide for yourself whether this means that you need to rebuild your site, restore it from a backup, or move to a different provider. That’s your decision to make, and for you to act upon. So please refrain from sharing your decision here, as it’s not helpful to this topic.

6 Likes

I asked iFastNet, and this is what I was told:

If we manage to get some data restored from these disks it will not overwrite any existing files on the server so the customers are safe to proceed with a restore.

Meanwhile, the chances of a successful restoration are looking slim. iFastNet is still trying to do what they can, but it’s a safe bet to start your own reconstruction/restoration.

9 Likes

Just FYI, the more we are writing onto these disks the less likely anything will be restored.

8 Likes