When I upload via FTP, only the folders and no contents upload

Even when I try to upload my site via the infinity web page instead of FTP, and my site is about 68k in size, it says my FTP upload limit has been reached, when I still have the full 5GB as I’m new here.

With my previous host, my website upload never has issues. Can you help me understand what is going on here?

Just to add something as I can’t see how to edit my OP.

I can manually upload the main index.html via FTP, but not if I select the whole site for synchronous upload as I stated. However, if I try and upload the index.html file of subfolder one, it stalls.

Please read

8 Likes

obviously i wouldn’t have been able to upload anything if these weren’t correct.

I’m not new to websites or uploading them. I’ve since manually added each of the index files and any others that did not upload, and when I change something using my FTP’s synchronise mode the new files upload just fine, but why would the site only accept the folders and none of the individual files within them I cannot say. Anyone know?

See if this apply

9 Likes

My site is tiny as I said…68k. Hardly any files. None of those things can apply in this case.

Where are you trying to upload your files to, and what is the error you’re getting?
When using FTP, can you share the full Filezilla logs?

6 Likes

File size or file count?

5 Likes

I’m using Transmit for Mac, and have done for years. I upload my site into /htdocs within the domain I want to use. It leaves out the contents which I always upload successfully to my other host site.

I just tested it on an empty domain name. It is leaving out the contents of the font folder and the img folder and the CSS folder and 3/4 of the JS folder. Any file that is missing I can manually upload myself, and once I have, if I change anything, when I next sync, it will update fine.

It makes no sense to me.

size

What is the exact error message you see on the FTP connection? Because the error you describe:

This sounds like either your interpretation of the error message, or an interpretation by your FTP client. But if we know the exact error you get from our system, it’s a lot easier for us to pin down where exactly the message comes from.

5 Likes

It is when I try uploading through the file manager of Infinity directly.

What is your inode count?
Anyway, filezilla is the preferred way

4 Likes

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 10.42.01

As far as I can tell from the MonstaFTP source code, this error is raised if the FTP server responds with a “552 Disk Full” status code. Which could either mean that your have hit the limits of your account, or the server itself is full, but neither seems to be the case. And I cannot reproduce this issue when uploading directly with FileZilla.

I believe you when you say you get that error. But FTP access for your account is working fine. So without deep troubleshooting of MonstaFTP, there is nothing I can do for you.

Please consider using a desktop FTP client instead.

4 Likes

I do. As I said, I use Transmit for Mac which is an excellent FTP desktop client. I only discovered the issue when attempting to use file manager instead, after I realised, as I uploaded my website into htdocs originally, many files weren’t included.

As I said in my earlier posts, I’ve never experienced anything like this before. While I manually put each of the HTML files, the CSS files, the JS files, even the font files, and the IMG files, that were missing, this seemed ridiculously laborious when it should just upload, and synchronise, without issue.

Just to clarify again, once I put the missing files into the uploaded web folder, when I later changed something and synchronised, they synchronised, just as one would expect.

I tried creating a new domain and uploading the same website into that domain and again experiencing the same issue with many files not going in. I tested the same website on a different hosting platform, and experience none of these issues whatsoever.

It’s possible that your hosting account is glitched. You mentioned this:

Did you create that new domain in a new hosting account, or did you add it to your existing one? If it’s the second, can you try creating a new hosting account and see if the issue persists there?

4 Likes

That’s expected.

Apart from Admin said, it seems that there’s some other stuffs limiting the online file manager’s capabilities, and can end up throwing such errors to you.

It’s understandable that one might think the control panel intergrated functions are the most stable ones. Unfortunately, this is not the case here, the online file manager is one of the most unstable function here at InfinityFree. It’s still a FTP software at its core, but was shared and can easily get overloaded.
Everyone knows that it is broken.

Seeing how you already got a stable desktop FTP client, use that. Stop attempting to use a broken function and complain that it throws funny errors.

If you really, really need an online file manager, use our FileStash installation:

6 Likes

It’s widely known that the file manager has some weird bugs. We all know it doesn’t handle large uploads well, it will break if you try to create or extract large archives, as well as have glitches like sometimes duplicating the content of files.

Sadly, we haven’t been able to pin down and fix these issues. So until then, you should really use a desktop FTP client for all the “big work” and only use the file manager for small stuff, like downloading and uploading individual files, and making quick edits.

2 Likes

Created a new account. Same thing.

Here’s a screen shot of what is in my JS folder (as an example), and what is hosted on infinity after I upload everything for the first time via my FTP client.