Some fun facts

5 Likes

I want to add this one:

• You can’t add byet.org or any other domain used for a subdomain on the MOFH platform as an Addon Domain on your hosting account on free hosting. For byet.org it’ll throw “Byet is not permitted.” - and that’s a good thing - while for the others it’ll throw “domain is already assigned and in use.4”.
4 Likes
  • It is still possible to use some hidden options in the vPanel, like opening tickets, watching closed tickets (although for some odd reason it doesnt actually show your closed tickets) and downloading access logs
  • It is possible to get 4/3 accounts (and more!) if you can get your domain reactivated while you deactivate it.
  • It doesnt matter which nameserver do you use, as long as it points to Byet’s IP address, you can use it to register your account.

This also means that any free subdomain can be used as a nameserver, since they always point to Byet’s IP address.
3 Likes

It is a flaw and probably an exploit if you do that which doesn’t sit well with the ToS.

8 Likes
2 Likes

And I already know that, so there is no way I can see the PHP info of the other servers, unless I create a phpinfo.php with the following content:

<?=phpinfo()?>
3 Likes
3 Likes

And that’s a part of our security system as well; when you first load up, the security system module will use that AES script to generate a test cookie that will then be put on your browser via JavaScript; so if you don’t have JavaScript or cookies enabled, you’ll have the noscript tag content in the former case, while in the latter, after three tries, a redirect to Google’s page on how to enable cookies. But if you have both enabled, the check will end on the first attempt, the URL changes to have a GET param with i=1 and you’ll get redirected to the actual website, which is what most people will see afterwards and is served through a reverse proxied Apache instance, which is not port forwarded (well, because they want to keep the proxied server ports a secret) in this case.

Also, in this one:

you finally referenced the security system’s article!

8 Likes

Follow-up just to add the nginx module they used to add the test cookie on iFastNet’s free hosting platform:

4 Likes
2 Likes

And that is also known!

2 Likes

I know, I just included that one as a joke. :^)

2 Likes
  • On free hosting, you can add TXT records under the “SPF Records” section of the Control Panel. Now it accepts any data as well, not only values that start with v=spf1 or so! But you can only add TXT records for the root domain on that section - and only for domains under the “Addon Domains” and “Parked Domains” sections and not the “Subdomains” one, so that is a limit.
4 Likes
4 Likes

Wow, I also need to join it now! Or maybe not. Or maybe yes, or maybe not… I’ll decide as I’m so shy right now to join it…

EDIT: Here I am!

And here is a fun fact on myself:

• On the forum, I always add correct punctuation and be polite in each answer. On other platforms, like Discord, I tend to not respect that as they are messaging platforms after all. But on Snapchat… I do apply punctuation when I need it the most.
6 Likes
2 Likes

The news is the signup page instead now! :joy:

4 Likes

This isn’t always true.

While I think that for adding domains to existing accounts, using any DNS name works. But for creating new accounts, it actually checks whether the nameservers are set to ns1.infinityfree.com and ns2.infinityfree.com. Setting the nameservers to anything else (like ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com) does not pass the nameserver checks.

9 Likes

I think it will be more convenient if it would check the IP address of a nameserver instead, since they are mostly basically the same.

It would be even more convenient if there were no DNS checks at all. But we’re not going to do that, because convenience isn’t the purpose of the checks.

There is also the purpose of making sure that other people are not able to add your domain to their account. And making sure that people cannot add a domain to other free hosts that is the owner has configured to use for InfinityFree, or vice versa, is mitigated by checking for the specific nameserver hosts.

11 Likes