Slow script on forum

For the last couple of weeks I’ve encountered a problem with a slow script making it hard to catch up on what’s going on on the forum: the page freezes and struggles to reach the end of the list of new or updated threads, and it also removes the ability to click through to them. Is this affecting anyone else?

5 Likes

I face the same problem with freezing but it is not bad enough to prevent me from checking topics. What browser are you using?

6 Likes

Assuming we are talking about this forum, I haven’t experienced any issues recently …

Which is weird because my internet speed is not winning any awards any time soon.

6 Likes

Try scrolling down very far down the topics and you might run into that problem.

5 Likes

I don’t face the same issue you guys have, but I have a weird bug. If I suddenly scroll up, all the text in there will be bold, and I can’t even read a thing. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I believe that these issues may be caused by Google’s Auto Ads code injecting ads into the page which mangles Discourse’s own code.

I have disabled auto ads on the forum for now (I think, the controls are a bit weird). Does this solve the problem?

7 Likes

Hi all,

While I have not experienced slow script on this forum throughout this time, I do notice that I am required to double 2FA into here, like there’s always a first time that it goes Bad Gateway before actually signing in. Both attempts require choosing pictures. The 2FA itself works as it validates my code properly.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Yes, so far, I haven’t seen the creepy text bug error.

4 Likes

That appears to have fixed the problem - it’s back to proper function today. I’m using Firefox, so the problem may be that Firefox is falling behind the times. But maybe I should switch to a different browser so that you can run the software you need to in the best interests of InfinityFree.

4 Likes

That’s a client area problem. It’s a known issue, but very difficult to reproduce and troubleshoot.

I use Firefox too. I think it’s great and more people should use it. I don’t want to go back to the Internet Explorer days where everything only works on a single browser.

7 Likes

Does it perform better than Microsoft Edge? (I’m asking because my laptop has 4GB of RAM and a 2.30 GHz CPU)

6 Likes

Able to upgrade the RAM or is it soldered?

4 Likes

I’m not sure since I have never opened up my laptop.

4 Likes

Try this?

3 Likes

I think it would be better to buy a new laptop entirely because my laptop is already four years old.

3 Likes

It depends. If you can extend the life of a laptop by buying a RAM module (8GB for less then $50), I believe it is more cost effective than shelling a few hundred bucks for a new laptop.

6 Likes

Mine is over a decade old and still rocking. Can’t believe y’all consider 4 years to be old at this point.

5 Likes

Ture lol. I still use a Core 2 Duo PC as my testing machine, and it works like a charm.

5 Likes

You went from a slow script to a conversation about a laptop upgrade…do you know why I wrote this? :slightly_smiling_face: (don’t answer).

5 Likes

Nowadays I think FIrefox is more lightweight than anything Chromium based. The Quantum update in 2017 really improved the performance of Firefox.

I once had someone with an old and slow computer, that really became a lot more usable after replacing Chrome with Firefox.

I’ve never used Edge though, so I don’t know if it’s more lightweight than Chrome, and how it stacks up against Firefox. But if resources are tight, it’s definitely worth a try I think.

5 Likes