Moving Website Using FTP

Hi, I have decided to create a sub domain with you guys and called it

/classicwatch2023.great-site.net on the server.

I don’t seem to be able to drag the htdocs from one site to another remotely through FileZilla. Would it be possible for it to be taken care of your end, or am I expected to download them from your server just to upload them again?

Thanks,

Paul

You can either move the files through the htdocs folder to your subdomain’s htdocs folder through the File Manager, download the entire htdocs folder and upload the files inside it from your computer to your subdomain’s htdocs folder or use computer shortcuts to move the files from a folder to another through FileZilla.

5 Likes

You can do that, but please don’t. It will take much more time then it needs to.

The FTP protocol provides support for moving files, so you would be able to cut and paste the files from the old folder to the new one. (Try CTRL-X and CTRL-V).

6 Likes

I would personally recommend CTRL-C and CTRL-V (so copy and pasting, instead of cut and pasting) to ensure that even if something goes wrong in the process, the original files are intact in the old folder.

3 Likes

No, don’t copy-paste with FTP.

The FTP protocol does not support copying. In order to copy a file, the client will download all the files, then reupload them. If you cut and paste, the client is not really involved in the transfer, as the server does all the work (So since nothing will then reply on your internet connected, it will go a lot faster).

If you want to copy and paste, that is fine, however it will take a lot longer to complete.

6 Likes

I have left the directory blank for now in case someone from the team would like to do it in order to make sure it is done properly… I am a bit of a rookie and have already deleted one webiste by mistake today by deleting the wrong htdocs folder haha… I am more than happy for this post here to be permission for admin (s) to move the files for me from classicwatch2023.ml on the server to classicwatch24.great-site.net to see if I can get it working again…

Thanks,

Paul

Yeh I was looking for a simple drag and drop, one whole directory into another… Hopefully somebody can find the time to accomodate my request…

Not too sure the old Softaculous app installer approves of my use of the BT wi Fi hotspot either, I have just tried to stick a new Joomla installation on classicwatch24.great-site.net and there is no files showing on FileZilla when I go there??

I have never seen it once do that haha… What an incredible day we have had here… Who would have thought people having access to free domains would cause so much uproar on the planet…

Filezilla can do that. However it must be done within the same hosting account.

You should drag the contents of htdocs, not htdocs

As this is free hosting, please do it yourself

4 Likes

I’m the only one here with the level of access necessary to do it, but I will not do it for you. It’s your responsibility to manage your website, and I’m not going to manage your website for you because you don’t feel comfortable doing it.

Moving (not copying) the files is the fastest solution, but I do agree that it can be scary because you don’t have a backup.

If you don’t feel comfortable with it, you can also just download your entire website folder to your own computer first, and then upload its contents to the folder of your new site. This will take a lot longer than moving, but if you make a mistake at any point, you can safely start over because you still have the original files in your account, and a backup on your own computer.

Please decide for yourself what is acceptable for you in terms of convenience and safety, and migrate your website yourself accordingly.

5 Likes

I will wait for the owner to get back to me… Everyone seems to think they are in charge here by the looks of things lol… My questions are for Admin not other users, for clarification…

Thanks,

Paul

You already did

4 Likes

Proper charmer you aren’t ya lol… Maybe people on free plans would consider paying if the service was better… Thanks for the clarification, I will head to Trust Pilot and give a review at some point…

Well what can I say… People have told me not to do that, now you come in and tell me to do it. Thanks, I do wish other users would not give such bad advice here, if you guys weren’t going to even copy and paste them on your own server for me, I could have done that myself yesterday… Personally I see no reason at all why you guys can’t do it your end on your own serves much quicker… I will consider trying it at some point when I have time but I move forward and am more interested in creating newer sites than recovering old ones… What about the server backup??

Thanks for the clarification,

Paul

This is not my site though, I get that in Chrome, and a re - direct in Firefox lol…

1 Like

I see a joomla website, your issue is related to DNS caching. It may take up to 72 hours in order to show everywhere.

4 Likes

Adding to what @Ziverre said:

5 Likes

Any chance you could show a screen image of it, as yes I have just whacked a joomla installation on it a few hours ago…I guess I will have to wait…

I can see a classic Joomla! installation page:

4 Likes

Yeh thats why I need to access it to set up the Admin… I couldn’t get softaculous to put any files on so couldn’t set up an Admin account for it just a raw ftp installation… I have just cleared my DNS cache as per the article (needs updating Windows 10 ain’t on there but I know about Powershell and the command is the same) but that resolver business no clue… So I guess I will just have to wait… But at least now I know something is happening… Thanks…

1 Like