Maximum volume of AJAX requests allowed

Hey there!

My best guess is that you should delay it for 2 seconds. If you make Ajax requests every second, you’ll likely make 60 requests per minute for each user, so with that, you said your game will be tested with two people, which will overwhelm the available resources of the server if users are playing continuously, which will lead to suspense. And keep in mind that the allowed number of hits per day is 50K. The method I mentioned was perfectly fine for me. Or you can store the audio in local storage and use them when needed without making any server request.

4 Likes

Yes, fair usage limit applies

Sounds like

to me

There is no clear cut answer as it depend on how the request was coded.

Please read the link posted on fair usage limit

5 Likes

Take note OP is trying to

This may not be an applicable use case for free hosting.
Take note IF is meant for webhosting.
Audio/video blobs may be stretching the limits of free hosting

2 Likes

In ToS, it is OK if they serve the purpose of building a website. But probably not applicable here.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response!

I’m not making a game, just trying out some coding related to live audio/video transfer. And to address @KangJL 's concerns, I will state once again that this is just some personal testing by me, I would not try to stream audio/video to multiple users while on a free account.

1 Like

Yes, fair usage limit applies
Sounds like how to game the system to me

My intention was to ask what exactly that limit is to avoid unintended violations. Although reading through the links you provided seems to indicate that keeping limits confidential to avoid users skirting them is standard policy, so I’ll accept it.

Thank you very much for the links, however, they were very useful: the limit on processes, IO, and RAM will apply to my use case. The link on IO says you can view how close you are to the limit through the graph in the Account Statistics page in your control panel. Can one check their process and RAM usage as well? It would be nice to know the usage level before you hit the limit.

I’m just testing stuff out for now, I will decide later whether to share this site with the public. And if I do decide to have this site be for public use, I will obtain the required hosting plan.

But for now, I am only testing stuff out personally. If this is still not permitted, kindly link the relevant section(s) of the ToS.

Sounds like streaming to me

3 Likes

Sounds like streaming to me

Ah, I was not aware that streaming was disallowed. I don’t really have an exact idea of what I’m building, since like I’ve said, I’m currently just trying to learn and test the technologies and coding underlying audio/video.

If I collect live audio/video blobs from the user’s mic/camera, process them, and return some output to the user (say detecting the dominant frequency or color), I believe that would not be streaming? And would be allowed?

EDIT: I forgot to reply specifically to your message, so I’ll tag you instead @KangJL

Sorry, I’m new to the forum

Is this web hosting to you?

What do you think?

3 Likes

@KangJL Web hosting need not mean just static pages. Considering the fact that PHP, MySQL, etc. are provided, hosting more advanced websites doesn’t seem unreasonable.

This specific example of detecting dominant color/frequency should probably occur client-side, but I was just stating an example.

I have already said my piece.
You can do it at your own risk.
Take note suspension is not handled through the forum

3 Likes

@KangJL

I have already said my piece.
You can do it at your own risk.

Please don’t think I’m being obstinate. Recall that I immediately accepted the restriction on streaming, since you backed it up with an excerpt from the ToS.

I quickly read through the ToS just now, and the relevant section seems to be the

Script Usage Terms
Scripts on the site must be designed to produce web-based content, and not to use the server as an application server.

But due to server-side scripting languages like PHP, the distinction between a web server and application server is fuzzy. The examples of prohibited uses in this section are:

Using the server to generate large volumes of email from a database is an example of activity that is not allowed.
Scripts that are designed to provide proxy services, anonymous or otherwise, are not allowed.
Scripts that send bulk email or perform processor intensive database processes are not allowed.

Certainly processing user input in amounts that do not violate the resource usage limits, and returning the output as web-based content is not disallowed?

It would be nice to get an official clarification.

That’s the issue. It does, usually this (if in similar case):

5 Likes

@Frank419 Thank you for replying.

I previously mentioned that this site is for personal testing only and will not be shared with the public unless I obtain a hosting plan that supports multiple users. Even if ajax post requests are being made every few seconds, as long as only one or two users are using the site, the 50000 hit limit (and other resource usage limits) will not be exceeded.

Yes - it is debatable (if you are looking at only one item from TOS and not as a whole)

Because you can make your website use a microphone
and depending on the decibel level, your PHP script in the background generates 3D images as a background image for your web page and this is refreshed quite often

what I mentioned is web-based content

But that simply exceeds the possibilities of the free hosting service because it simply consumes too many resources and can be interpreted as abuse

you will probably see 508 errors in the console log first

9 Likes

@Oxy You and I seem to have posted at the same time, so I do not know if you were able to read my reply before posting.

Yes, the kind of site that I am testing would consume a lot of server resources if many people were using it, which is why you can rest assured that I will not publicize the site unless I upgrade to a suitable hosting plan.

So shouldn’t hosting such a site on a free account be fine as long as the site only has a couple of people visiting it? If the site is continuously swarmed by a multitude of users, feel free to suspend it, but it feels unnecessary otherwise.

In fact a link you posted says the following:

What to use instead AJAX - #3 by Admin
The question “how much AJAX is too much AJAX” is impossible to answer for all sites. It really depends on how your website was built, how many people use it, and how often you query the server.

if you get suspended it will be for 24 hours (temporary)

if it is constantly repeated (suspension) then it will be permanently suspended

So you have nothing to fear
btw. and at the same time monitors the browser console log for possible 508

can’t read posts in progress

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.