CHMOD File Permission on 000

User Name


Error Message

Changing item permissions failed with error: Error during FTP change permissions, permission denied at: “/htdocs/wp-content/plugins”.

Other Information

It was very stupid, but I changed the permissions on one folder to 000. I know the exact same question has been asked before. But back then the recommendation was to just change back the CHMOD to the appropriate permission. But then the above Error Message is what I get.
In other words, I am not allowed to open, change, delete or overwrite this folder any more. It has become an immovable object!
If you have any ideas, please help!

It means you’ve successfully locked the permissions to everyone even server owners.

Please host your site on another site account. You can create it from ClientArea.


Maybe the admin could help?

Admin had already told that it’s locked to everyone. On a similar topic


Thank you for the lightning fast response!

So I must create another account in my ClientArea, upload all the whole files correctly a second time and then I could just get rid of my old account? I basically wrecked my whole account?

Not whole account. But then you cannot host your WordPress files there. You’ve to create new account for that


Ok, I see.
Thanks again!
Should anyone come up with a different solution, let me know.
Have a great weekend, everybody!

I believe only admin can help with that as you changed permissions to 000 that’s mean now only the root user can solve your problem.



I mean root user (iFastNet)

Nope, from google;

chmod 000 denies read, write, and execute permission to yourself, your group, and everyone else.

The only way to recover 000 is to clone the machine and mount the disk and change permissions, and i don’t think public hosting servers have time to unmount, poweroff remount startup and change a bunch of things, personally when i accidentally chmod something 000, i just fresh install


so same thing happened to me about 20 minutes ago i can understand your feeling.
until admins can / will revert this for us if you still want a fix for it you can create a different folder
eg in my case its images folder create another one with imgaes1 name and change any code that includes images/ to images1/ and re-upload the contented of the old locked folder to that new one
hope this helps

Edit: seems you can still rename folders this means you dont have to change any code just rename the locked folder and create a new folder using the old name and re-upload your content to that new one


Unfortunately I couldn’t.

But I’ve got another question, now that I created a new account. The content is online and working with a sub domain. But my old original domain won’t connect to this account.

Error Adding Domain…

This could be due to already adding the domain to this or another account or, you have not changed the nameservers as required or not enough time has passed since changing the nameservers…

Now, it would be very logical to have the first problem. The second problem wasn’t an issue last time, after I waited two days after changing the nameservers. But by now I waited more then a week.

But say it’s the first problem (already adding the domain to another account). I already deleted the domain from the first account. It didn’t help. Any other ideas? Would it help to delete the first account? I hesitate to try that, because maybe no other account will ever work with that domain again.

Tell me, should you need any data in order to help me!

So… what’s the domain name? I can try to check the status of a domain, but I need more than an anonymized error message to do that.


Yes absolutely.

The domain is
It’s purchased and name-server-ed on

Looking at the DNS records for your domain, it doesn’t appear to have any nameservers at this time. This is what the current DNS status for your domain is. If it doesn’t say in it anywhere, it means the nameservers are not present.

Can you please check with Freenom to make sure your nameservers are set correctly?

This seems to be a recurring issue with Freenom. I don’t know exactly when or why some domains lose all nameservers like this. It might have something to do with domain suspensions, but I don’t know. In any case, only Freenom can help you solve this.


Thank you!
I take this as the definite statement that the problem is with Freenom and not with Infinityfree.
To know that is helping a lot!

For everyone having the same problem with Freenom: I just added some more nameservers to my domain (namely NS1.BYET.ORG and NS2.BYET.ORG) and for some reason it is working now!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the help!

That would not help, but in fact make it worse if you haven’t removed one nameserver or the other. You either keep the epizy or the byet, not both. It will confuse and complicate things more.

These aren’t the InfinityFree nameservers. Please remove them and add our ones

More info:

These are our nameservers.