Account Recovery

I think you forgot the basics of 2FA. The code can be accessed only on the 2FA app. You can re-login back to your 2FA account. Btw, what app were you using?

3 Likes

i used google authenticator app

besides, i requested google and they resent me my google account recovery when i dincate that the device was lost. i was asked to scan a code on the account email using the new authenticator app. and it worked .

Unfortunately, InfinityFree is not a bank and doesn’t need quadruple 2FA security layers for people who lose devices. You will not receive any SMS from InfinityFree at any cost I suppose. It was your responsibility to keep the recovery codes somewhere safe (did you do that?).

If you think I am rude, sorry :pray:

3 Likes

okay , i understand your just trying to scare me with these updates. i still believe infintyfree can disable 2fa on request . besides i was not told that my account was blocked i need recovery code to verify it.

Looks like you can’t stick to reality.

I’m sorry but Admin has already said that he won’t do it for anyone on request. It is not fair for all those who’ve lost websites. You’re no exception!

I think there’s no use debating about it, let admin and you figure this out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We have said multiple times that it cannot be done, so that means that IT CANNOT BE DONE.

What? The 2FA setup process says to safely store the recovery codes in case something happens to the 2FA device. It clearly says that. Your account was never blocked, per se, only locked. However, it was your doing, not ours.

Sorry to say, but unless you kept the recovery codes safely and accessible, you aren’t getting your account back. There; I said it, in the full truth.

4 Likes

Two Factor verification was generally introduced to prevent hackers from have unauthourised access, not with the option thaat the cliant won’t ever access that account even when applealed . In most cases 2fa has not more than just to prevent unthourized access.

I’m not sure where you get the idea from that we can help you. When enabling 2FA, the follow information is shown at the top of the page:

• Make sure to store these codes. If you lose access to your authenticator app, you will need these to login to your account.
  • Store these codes safely. These codes can be used to login to your account. Do not share them with anyone. A password manager is a great place to keep them.
  • Do not store these codes only on your phone. If you lose the phone, you’ll lose all ways to access your account. Make sure that the codes are backed up somewhere else, like on cloud storage.
  • If you lose your authentication device and the recovery codes, you WILL lose your account. We will not deactivate two factor authentication if you have lost access.

The last point is the most important one to understand. And it’s not a joke. If you lose the recovery codes, you lose access. End of story. No exceptions.

I have no idea what makes you believe any different. We have never disabled 2FA for anyone, and will not start now. You can have hope if you want, but we cannot help you with this.

Have you checked your InfinityFree mobile app? And checked the phone number currently linked to your profile? Because you’d see that we don’t have a mobile app, and don’t register your phone number. So we cannot send you a push notification or an SMS, because we don’t have anything to send it to. So I don’t understand what makes you think we somehow could.

4 Likes

I thought it was real for a second :laughing:

Actually i had a 2FA backed up but i’m not sure why the codes don’t work. maybe that’s not for infityfree. but i can be sure it’s for infinityfree because i named it so. That’s the main reason i requested to have 2fa disabled. ofcourse no one would like to activate 2fa without a back up. i think admin would have to explain why my codes are not working.****

Because you are copying them wrong or the codes are invalid or already used earlier.

i thought so. but now im coinvinced the codes don’t work. i was typing them first but now i copy and paste … still getting same error message.

Admin will look into it when he comes online.

For my own reference

i hope so. otherwise i would have to change my hosting account next time i think of taking the trouble to build another eCommerce website.

I checked the codes you sent to Greenreader9 and they do not match the codes that we have stored for you. The format does match our codes, so it’s likely that these were generated by us at some point, but they are no longer accurate now.

1 Like

so that means my account cannot be recovered isn’t it. Since your platform says those were not the recovery codes given. anyways. thnks for your help. nevertheless those were the codes i copied from my infityfree page before activating my 2fa. if you say those aren’t the codes , i do not know what that means. if it is to mean that my website is lost forever since the hosting company cannot help recover my data , i understand. Thanks

1 Like

I did check the 2FA activation page to see if there was any error with the recovery codes. I didn’t encounter anything that actually didn’t work, but there was one UX problem in that if you refresh the page or make an error when submitting the first six digit code, your recovery codes are rotated. If you then don’t store the updated recovery codes, you don’t have any working recovery codes.

This is not obvious, it’s something I overlooked when building the page and I do intend to fix this ASAP.

I think that you may have fallen victim of this as well. I do want to make changes to make sure that this won’t happen to other people, but I still cannot disable 2FA for you.

1 Like

If you cannot disable 2FA, then resend me working recovery codes because the ones i copied from your site do not work. I have made some few references and have come across few people that passed similar complain about failing recovery codes. You need to fix this. Thanks