What type of person are you here?

Results displayed after voting.

• Master Devs (Fullstack, server to application)
  • Backend Devs (professionally)
  • Frontend Devs (professionally)
  • In the field (currently working in IT, not necessarily coding)
  • Casual Coder (has some personal projects)
  • Learner (always trying out new things)
  • Newbie (getting started)
0 voters
3 Likes

I like how we’re the only two who pick fullstack haha

8 Likes

Both learner and casual coder suit me :wink:

6 Likes

I’m technically a learner as well considering that I plan to learn reverse engineering in order to write open source reimplemetation of certain abandonware games.

5 Likes

I suppose you could consider me full stack if being self-employed counts (As TH is technically a business I think).

I just selected the casual option as I assumed that the “Master dev” option meant that you were also employed by a tech company, as the front end/backend options seemed to imply.

3 Likes

Hi Greenreader9,

Self-employment counts towards “Master dev” for the 2 reasons: you handle full stack projects && you do it as a business/for your income. Your choice should be Master dev instead in this case.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Hi SpookyKipper,

The difference between learner and casual coder is that learners do not code on their own, if you have attempted to code projects (not practises) on your own, self-motivated, you’re a casual coder.

Cheers!

4 Likes

I do disagree with the word “master” being used, as I feel it is impossible to truly master a programming language, there is always more you can learn and/or improvise upon.

Huh? If you are learning, I sure hope you are coding on your own!

9 Likes

I was thinking exactly the same, chiucs123 thankfully clarified what he meant:

Which I interpret as “learners code as a practice, casual coders are those that create a project not as part of a tutorial”.

It could still be made clearer (I’m not sure if the actual poll can anymore, but yeah).

4 Likes

Welcome back @jaikrishna.t !

4 Likes

Uh, wrong topic?

4 Likes

I noticed it later, yes.

5 Likes

Hi Greenreader9 and ChrisPAR,

Right…maybe there’s room for improvement with my wording back there, what I meant is that for those who are learning to code, but never tried to code their own projects besides the ones that they were required to (like school assignments or work projects) They are categorized as “learners”. The question here does not deal with whether learners should be proactively attempting code.

Meanwhile, casual coders are more self-motivated in programming and will try on their own projects that are not required to do so by a third party.

I hope this clears things up a bit. As for the original poll, as it’s the first time I tried this function, I’m not sure if the votes can be preserved if I edit the options, so I’ll keep it as is.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Ah, my school making me to learn Excel functions (and those are practises) :sob:

And I sometimes do code some php on my own

So i guess they both still suit me :wink:

4 Likes

I’m in the field, but most definitely coding. I work on developing AGI, and I came into this from linguistics, but I’m very much an outsider, working entirely independently and making all my own tools. I started by writing an operating system directly in machine code (not assembler, but x86 instructions expressed as decimals [though the original version was done in z80]), then built everything else on top of that. While most people working on artificial intelligence are following machine learning models where they train them, I follow the opposite approach, building a rule-based system where the entire algorithm is explicit, so the idea is to build a perfect reasoning machine that genuinely understands the ideas it’s processing.

6 Likes

Definitely!

5 Likes

Coming back for a question, does copying from StavkOverflow count as being a casual coder?

4 Likes

Not if you copy it with understanding

4 Likes

Hi Ziverre,

The term casual coder does not refer to how professionally you perform the coding operation, but rather the mentality of devoting effort to the work. Copying from StackOverflow is just a means of p̶l̶a̶g̶i̶a̶r̶i̶z̶i̶n̶g̶⠀referecing other peoples’ work. In the contrary, you also copy code in a professional setting, which is very common in the industry.

Cheers!

4 Likes

it’s not referencing, it’s “inspiration”

4 Likes