Webs site not accessible

Username (e.g. epiz_XXX) or Website URL

mhpo.epizy.com

(please share the FULL error message you see)
" There has been a critical error on this website. Learn more about debugging in WordPress."

Other Information

IP: 185.27.134.168

My website is currently not accessible.

Installation failed: There has been a critical error on your website - InfinityFree Knowledge Base
Refer to this article, it will help you solve your issues.

4 Likes

Too complicated! Besides the error generated does not seem to be related to updates.

Warning : require(/home/vol8_4/epizy.com/epiz_27209065/htdocs/wp-includes/https-detection.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/vol8_4/epizy.com/epiz_27209065/htdocs/wp-settings.php on line 174

Fatal error : require(): Failed opening required ā€˜/home/vol8_4/epizy.com/epiz_27209065/htdocs/wp-includes/https-detection.phpā€™ (include_path=ā€˜.:/usr/share/pear/ā€™) in /home/vol8_4/epizy.com/epiz_27209065/htdocs/wp-settings.php on line 174

It probably was an update that messed up your wp-settimgs.php file. I would reload that file from a backup. The link that @MAHOfficial posted is the one I would give to you as well.

This is free hosting. You need to resolve it yourself. If you ignore advices given, you have to live with it.

1 Like

Actually, as far as I am aware you canā€™t get much support for your website from premium hosting staff also. The support they mostly provide is for technical stuff on their side until you have managed WordPress hosting or WordPress hosting which does provide support for WordPress and stuff.

But this is a community forum so we should be helping him as much as possible instead of saying that

As said by @Greenreader9 itā€™s most probably auto-update which messed up your website. Auto-updates on free hosting donā€™t work due to the 10 MB limit whereas the size of WordPress is around 50 MB.

Goto wordpress.org and download wordpress from their.
Then, upload the wp-settings.php file from it + wp-includes/https-detection.php file in the required folders.

1 Like

I got the latest wordpress version and uploaded via filezilla. Seems to work now but need to edit a few things on my website as the layout seems a bit messed upā€¦ somehow!

Update. When you installed the update it reset the functions.php file. If you edited that file (despite the warning at the top), all your changes are now lost.

Also, some plugins may have been corrupted, or donā€™t work with the new update.

I think you can fix your site like this:

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your help. My site is up and runningā€¦ but my site ownership cannot be verified by Google despite adding (overwriting original html file with new one even though it has identical ā€˜nameā€™) html file sent by Google. Should things be so complicated in this world?

Try visiting it directly to see if the link works directly.
There is a security system which blocks bots but afaik it doesnā€™t block search engine bots.

1 Like

I can access my website and do things but anyone searching for it on Google, the website does not feature amongst the results. I have the html file that google sent me and it is in the root directory of the site but verification fails. Google does not recognise my site as belonging to me!

(should I be starting a new thread?)

Can you access that file in your browser?

I know you can also verify other ways, so maybe try a different way?

Nothing that I tried worked. I feel like Iā€™m blind and trying to navigate my way out of a jungleā€¦

The html file worked before. Since I upgraded manually WordPress, I had to re-install plug-ins, edit pages on my website (still not happy as with WP is NOT wysiwyg at all) and verification of website comes up with an ownership verification failed message:

Verification method:
HTML file

Failure reason:
Your verification file was not found in the required location.

Can you send the exact destination that failed the verification?

Okā€¦ with the help of a local friend, I solve the issue by installing header/footer code plugin and adding the meta data in a new ā€œsnippetā€ā€¦ and verifying using that specific option (previous html option failed). Hooray!!! My website now appears on a Google search.

At long last! It always ends up to be a plug-in issueā€¦

Thanks

2 Likes

Nice to hear that!

2 Likes

Originally I placed the html file in the directory that contains wp-admin folder etc as explained in a link I was provided by a friend back at home here (not on this forum). Whereas it worked months ago, after WP upgrade it did not work!

Maybe that verification file got removed!

Yes, that file would have been removed. I do love that Headers and Footers plug-in!