Suggestions to make InfinityFree better

How about adding a link to Freenom to the control panel?

That’s basically giving freenom free advertising, something that really does not need to be done.

It’s not advertising because many people doesn’t know about freenom.

An another suggestion: add dark mode on the forum

Already available

5 Likes

You should try checking your preferences first😂

1 Like

But it’s not a solid dark mode. It’s grey.

Grey is a dark color.

Can you define advertising for me?

5 Likes

InfinityFree links to iFastNet because they provide the premium hosting.

InfinityFree links to NameSilo and NordVPN (used to) because they are affilates. Infinityfree maks money when people buy through its link.

But why should InfinityFree advertise for Freenom. InfinityFree gets no benefits, and instead will probably get angry people who’s domain got marked as fraud complaining to them.

Or, worse, think might Freenom is owned by InfinityFree. Look at all the people who believe iFastNet owns InfinityFree.

6 Likes

How about a CloudFlare link?

If it’s not paid advertising, I’m guessing Admin won’t implement it. If you find paid links from CloudFlare, put here. But I’m guessing that because they offer a quite popular free plan, that a person wouldn’t earn very much, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

I had a much longer reply @ItsGamingTube, but I don’t think it was particularly useful. But almost all suggestions can be answered by one of the following:

• The hosting platform has limited APIs, and you can’t just make an API to someone else’s system. I’d love to make my own panel and add more features, but that’s just not possible.
  • Free hosting isn’t free. You get it for free, but especially iFastNet spend a HUGE amount of money on server space and staff to make this all work. Of course providing more stuff for free makes people happier, but someone still needs to pay for it. iFastNet does this primarily by selling premium hosting. But if they start providing all premium features for free, then they have to spend much more on free hosting, and people will have fewer reasons to upgrade. Going to other way and nerfing free hosting so it’s completely useless doesn’t work either, so balance must be found between these things.
  • Other companies need to make money too. Website builder makers and email providers also want to make money, so they are not going to give their product away in bulk to a free hosting provider for a pittance to provide for free. Just because they offer a free trial doesn’t mean they are going to provide a free reseller program.
  • Just because you like something doesn’t mean it’s objectively better. Like we’re talking to you, we’ve talked to hundreds or even thousands of other people. We’re trying to make a service that works well for as many people as possible. Just because you’ve used WHMCS and like it doesn’t mean that everyone who has used it liked it, and everyone who will use it will.
  • We’ve been doing this for a while. InfinityFree has been providing hosting for almost 10 years now, and iFastNet for closer to 25. We’ve hosted many millions of websites. And we welcome feedback. But don’t come here and tell us “your system sucks, just migrate to software X, it’s so much better”. iFastNet knows cPanel, I know WHMCS, we’re both using that software to this day, and we’ve both decided to not use it and develop our own for free hosting. We wouldn’t have gotten this far if we were idiots, so please understand that if we do something, we have good reasons for it.
  • Just because you don’t understand something doesn’t make it a bad idea. See above. The limitations in terms of features and server power are well considered based on many years of experience. You don’t have that experience and insight, which is fine, but then don’t call things useless if you don’t understand what it’s for.
  • Features trump design. I like a slick coat of paint too (look at the client area compared to the control panel), but at the end, a service or tool has a job to do, and the tool that’s best at that job wins.

Now for a few specific points.

Case in point: your domain got marked as fraudulent for a weird reason. I can’t in good faith promote a service that does that.

I have looked. I have checked MANY site builders. They all fall in the following categories:

• Open source tools which let you drag some text and images around.
  • Hosted website-as-a-service platforms (like Weebly and Squarespace).
  • Website builders for hosting providers that charge per site. And those prices are always unsustainable for free hosting.
  • Desktop software.

I would very, very, very much like to offer a full website builder (no free trials of Site.pro or SitePad) with our free hosting. But that’s too complex to make myself and I don’t know anybody else who provides this.

So if you know any, please share, because I can’t find them.

People who come here asking for help generally have an issue and they don’t fully understand what’s wrong exactly. Because if they knew what was wrong, they wouldn’t need help.

And if your website is not working, it’s not always easy to say whether that’s a problem with the domain name, the software or the hosting. So why force people to have to determine that instead? Why not just dump it into a big bucket called “support” and let the experts determine where the problem is?

And this is not hypothetical. We had a category “Website Development”, and there was no difference in content between it and hosting support. So I decided to just lump them together.

And please don’t forget: just because there isn’t a specific category dedicated to it, doesn’t mean it’s forbidden to discuss it.

You can just put bug reports in Hosting Support, and website optimization tips in Informal.

I have actually been thinking of something like that for a while.

I implemented the free SSL certificates, and that’s not paid advertising. I do also build stuff because I think it makes the service better. It does need to be financially sustainable of course (I can’t just go and spend thousands per month on third party software licensing), but it doesn’t need to be profitable by itself.

I have a list of ideas of things that I can add that iFastNet doesn’t have, or I can do better than iFastNet, even within the limited access I have.

5 Likes

Add an option to earn coins to spend coins on storage (or option to earn storage)

No, its not. InfinityFree already gives us the maximum storage that iFastNet will permit. If this is implemented, then everyone gets less to start with, and that’s not the point.

2 Likes

I think that bringing back the “CloudFlare” icon in the vPanel might be a good idea, but having it link to the CloudFlare website instead

I (personally) don’t see how that would work. How would you earn coins? How would you spend them? And literally no other hosting platform has a “virtual currency.” It’s just creating more confusion for people. Best to just have two plans with no “extras”: Free and Premium

2 Likes

I have an idea: link Cloudflare with all the free subdomains and use the API to create subdomains when someone creates an account.

Admin already said that editing the vPanel(adding another API) isn’t possible.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what iFastNet’s integration already did.

The things was that a few people then used the free subdomains to setup bad sites, and Cloudflare responded by kicking the entire domain from their platform.

Cloudflare just doesn’t work for free subdomains.

It reminds me a bit about the Post2Host type deals you had in the past. You would get free hosting, but you would need to make X posts per month on a forum to get it.

But it turns out that if you effectively pay people for posts, then you’re not going to get particularly high quality posts that spark conversations. I.e. any good discussion gets drowned by spammers who just want free hosting.

The current Cloudflare link is hidden through scripting, and a few other links are modified. So bringing the link back and pointing it to the Cloudflare website is definitely a possibility.

But I think having a link in the control panel which looks like a control panel option, but instead just points to an external website, isn’t exactly great UX.

7 Likes

Cloudflare does work for free domains.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.