SSL cert status?

Website URL

(http://ixthuscatacombs.42web.io/)

Error Message

We could not find this domain on any of your accounts.

Other Information

As I can’t get into cpanel to give screenshots of the cnames I set up per:How to create the CNAME records for free SSL And being as my subdomain shows up automatically in the cname domain dropdown list, I am concerned that I’m not going to get the free SSL because of the results showing on the verification screen. Various threads here say that if you still see bodis, then something is wrong.

Is there any way for admin to check on cname stuff without the need for cpanel access?

The control panel is now accessible, so you should be able to make edits again.

1 Like

You requested a certificate for 42web.io. That domain isn’t yours, and you will not be able to complete that order.

If you want SSL for your subdomain ixthuscatacombs.42web.io, please request an SSL certificate for ixthuscatacombs.42web.io.

I can’t. DNS records can only be managed from the control panel. The client area also interacts with the control panel to setup the CNAME records for you. So if the control panel is down, there is nothing I can do for you.

4 Likes

According to: How to create the CNAME records for free SSL

I should be able to do this:

But you just said I can’t do this:

sslsubdomain

So. . . either the subdomain is automatically added or it isn’t???

The second screenshot above clearly states the subdomain is automatically added, and the instructions state if I am using an infinityfree domain to add the subdomain in the cpanel record box. . .

If neither are true, how do I do this?

The record configuration isn’t right, as you followed the part of article for Let’s Encrypt and even badly because you repeated the subdomain name you chose two times on the second record, though your domain is a subdomain and it’ll start with the recommended provider for the subdomains (which is Google Trust in this case). Please remove the DNS records.

Maybe you didn’t read it properly. When you insert the subdomain you have in the “Domain Name” box (don’t insert the root domain your subdomain is on, so 42web.io instead of ixthuscatacombs.42web.io), the certificate that will come out will be valid for both the non-www and the www versions of the domain. That’s what “The www. subdomain is automatically included” means. As for the article itself, you’ll only have to add them manually - and only one of them, only the _acme-challenge-named record or _{hash} where {hash} is replaced with an hash - if the certificate’s step 3 doesn’t allow for automatic adding of the CNAME records through a simple button.

5 Likes

So when I request a new SSL, I can only request for 42web.io, I can’t request for the subdomain as it won’t allow it. In the CNAME area, the subdomain is already added to the 42.web.io in the domain dropdown box. Admin just stated I can’t ask for an SSL for 42web.io!! I have tried entering my subdomain as part of the domain to receive the new SSL, and the form will not send when I do that!

It will allow it, but ONLY if you don’t put www. before your subdomain name! I tested it with a new subdomain I created on an hosting account I have on free hosting, only inserting literally exactly the entire subdomain name without any other things before or after it and the order for my SSL certificate was created, so the problem is you!

4 Likes

That isn’t true. As a matter of fact, I just placed an order with your subdomain and it worked fine:

What you should enter for it to work is exactly this:

You can safely delete the previous CNAME records and I’d recommend doing that, as when you order your certificate, you should have a button on top that, when clicked, automatically sets up the record for you (I didn’t have this option myself because the domain does not belong to me, but you).

6 Likes

Thanks Chris, I removed the old cname entries, and took a guess that what appears to refer to www as a subdomain might be where my hangup was, as www is not a subdomain, it’s a prefix that is rarely used anymore, so everywhere I saw any phrase with www and subdomain in it, I automatically thought “www.ixthuscatacombs.” I’ve been building websites since the late ‘90’ s and had never heard of www as a subdomain before. So I did as you said above, and the certificate is waiting for me to install now.

2 Likes

www is considered a subdomain (much like ftp.example.com, smtp.example.com are subdomains even though you could call them prefixes for the FTP and SMTP services, respectively, in fact the standard for them may be the reason www was made in the first place, also on Wikipedia), so that’s indeed probably why you were confused.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.