Some feedback about the Directory Privacy feature

So if you don’t know what directory privacy is (aka me like 2 hours ago) it basically lets you password protect websites using passwd it seems.
I have passwords set up for a test domain currently, but I hate how it doesn’t just list the directories that I have passwords set up for like here: Screenshot by Lightshot.

When I first select the domain/subdomain, and press ‘Alter Protection’, it should list all the directories of the under that domain that’s being password protected, rather than me having to remember what folders I’ve password protected.

It also says that I don’t have any directories protected, which isn’t true. So, not sure what’s going on there.

No clue if this will even be seen or changed in the future, but I think it would be a better user experience (even though service is free), and overall make more sense.

Unfortunately, iFatNet manages the control panel, and there is nothing InfinityFree can do to change or fix it. You can see what folders are password protected, by looking for a .htaccess file and a .htpassword (I think the last one is a bit different name, but both start with a dot) together in the same folder. If you want to delete the protection, delete those files.

*If you have created .htaccess rules on your website, just clear out the extra lines that are added to your .htaccess file instead.

1 Like

I agree it’s pretty bad. But in my experience, UX improvements don’t typically have priority for iFastNet.

Hypothetically, it’s possible to offer this functionality from the client area too (all you need is to write some .htaccess files) and it has been on the wish list for years, but I’ve never gotten around to building it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.