Softaculous-installed Matomo is not recording any visits to any of my sites

Website URL

https://raccoon-inc.fatimamakes.com

Error Message

I have setup matomo on a subdomain https://analytics.fatimamakes.com/matomo

There was a couple red flags during installation:

  1. It originally failed saying can’t get_current_user(); which is an issue that was supposedly fixed a couple months back, I bypassed this issue by adding a small code snippet during setup telling it record matomo_user instead. This let me proceed with installation, however I’m mentioning it in case this may be causing unknown issues.

  2. There seems to be a database name typo during matomo’s automated setup, it’s naming the database if041XXXXXX_matomo instead of if0_41XXXXXX_matomo, so it’s not showing up in my databases list in infinityfree dashboard. The host it’s using is also completely different from what’s written in the dashboard, which I’m suspecting is the reason why my own installation attempts failed previously.

Now to the main issue. The app installed and is working fine, I setup 2 sites to be tracked, created the js tracking snippets for them, tested them and added them. I tested and checked they are loading up correctly with the sites.
However absolutely no visits at all are being recorded, not even my own using different networks and devices.

I’m unsure if this is because of some other security restrictions on infinityfree or not, hence why I’m asking here.

Free hosting websites don’t allow cross origin requests to it as far as I can tell, so your tracking code is probably not loaded at all.

Thank you for your response! So the issue is that it’s on a subdomain? What would you say would be a good solution in this case? I move matomo to my main site with a /matomo url? It still won’t track my game’s site with this it seems :melting_face:

Putting it in a subdomain would work, but my guess of the cause is

which returned a HTML instead of JS so Chrome blocked it with ERR_BLOCKED_BY_ORB.

In any case a popular service like google analytics might be more suited for your needs, if you have multiple websites, you dont want to open many matomo instances on each of their sub path

You know what, you’re absolutely right. I wasted enough time trying to wrangle Matomo to work. I have moral issues against using Google products especially analytics, so I setup GoatCounter and that’s working fine. Thank you for the help.