Site caching issues?

Hey all,
I’m using InfinityFree to demo a site I’ve made for a client. I’m getting into the web design/development space and this is one of my first projects. I decided to host the demo site because of travel constraints to meet up and discuss the site which I could do up until recently. Up until this point it’s been a great way of working on the project with a real-time demo the client can see as the project progresses.

I’ve run into a problem. When I’m editing the site (using FTP as per what is available on InfinityFree) the changes are not being reflected on the live site. I’ve disabled caching in WordPress by adding define('WP_CACHE', false) and I understand that when enqueuing scripts in WordPress adding the version number ‘bypasses’ caching so this has also been done. I’ve done everything that is standard for WordPress theme development in this regard and I’ve never had issues when I’ve been using my own local development environment (LAMP stack).

I’ve even deleted the script from the ‘js’ directory where my script enqueue function within functions.php is pointing to and the changes are still not reflected in real-time. How I know this is because I’ve developed a simple JS ticker script that iterates through strings stored in an array that are randomized and then output in the text content of a particular element. Because the changes are visible in the browser it’s obvious that when the ticker is still functioning even when in real-time the script no longer exists in the ‘js’ directory (and hasn’t for over 30 minutes) the updates are not in real-time.

What sort of caching is implemented on the hosting end? How long can I expect to wait for the site to be updated? As mentioned, it’s been over 30 minutes since I deleted the script in question. Is there any way I can change/mitigate this? I don’t have time to be waiting hours between minor revisions to code and so if this cannot be changed that may be a problem for me.

Thanks!

None. All caching is done is your software, or in your browser. Clearing your cache or using a different device is one way to resolve this.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.