Hello, I am trying to set up the Google Site Kit plugin on my WordPress site, but the setup wizard fails. My WordPress Site Health tool shows a critical error: “The REST API encountered an error” and “Your site could not complete a loopback request.”
I have disabled all caching and security plugins, and paused Cloudflare. Is this REST API blockage a known restriction of the free hosting firewall, or is there a way to allow WordPress loopback requests for my account so Site Kit can connect?
Welcome to the InfinityFree community forum! Good to have you here.
Most people answering here are volunteers. They’re often the fastest source of help. Admin (the only staff member) checks in about once a day for issues on our end.
Volunteers can’t see your account or website. Share what you actually see, like error messages and what happens when you try something. That’s more useful than your theory of what’s wrong.
AI tools often get InfinityFree wrong. If a volunteer’s advice differs from what an AI told you, please try the volunteer’s suggestion first.
Solving an issue is a joint effort. Try the suggestions you get and report back what happened.
I’m not familiar with the “Google Site Kit plugin”
but if sounds like the security system is blocking the connection. Because InfinityFree is intended for hosting websites, the security system blocks all non-browser connections (with a couple of exceptions such as search engine crawlers)
To add to what @dan3008: it’s true that loopback connections on our hosting don’t work. It’s not recommended for WordPress, but the overwhelming majority of websites work perfectly fine without it.
I’m not familiar with the Google Site Kit plugin, so I don’t know how it works and whether it needs the loopback request to work.
But I do recommend to just ignore this error for now and proceed with setting up the plugin. There is a good chance that everything will just work perfectly.