Relationshhip between Softaculous and Wordpress

Can you/anyone help me correctly perceive what is going on with the relationship between softaculous and WordPress?

I enter the back-end of my website
American$: https://www.americans-restored.com
via the admin-link in softaculous…

My website opens but now I am in a different environment which I am assuming, that I am literally now within the WordPress environment. Which I assume should be also attached to Wordpress.com, but it isn’t…

Anyways, so this new environment that I am in has all of my plugins… However if I look back at the softaculous environment it doesn’t have any plugins…

So I am in a third-party scenario? If so, is there any reason, (because I’m a complete Rookie, with zero experience), to remain in this third-party status? I typically avoid third-party scenarios as much as possible… Also softaculous’s environment looks much richer?

Thanks to All!

WordPress is both a company and a product. The software you are installing from Softaculous is the WordPress product (php software). The company (WordPress) runs a service that provides hosting. You could pay them to host your WordPress site instead of using InfinityFree. So, your WordPress.com account really has nothing to do with the local php software you have installed via Softaculous. For your WordPress you should always log in from the InfinityFree site. The one thing you can do on WordPress.com is set up your Gravatar (avatar) images that will appear on different WordPress sites.

But, unless you’re paying for WordPress.com hosting, there is no need to log into their site.

All changes to your local WordPress site (e.g. installing plugins) should be done from the Softaculous login for your installation of WordPress.

7 Likes

Copy that…
One clarification…
I don’t have WordPress installed on softaculous…
Can you make sense of that?

And so now I’m moving forward I should refrain from what I am currently doing and that is feeling my plugin-coffers in that third-party environment.

I wish to stop doing that and start working directly out of softcalculous. So can I transfer everything over? Or do I have to go out and pick through all of the plugins again?
Because again there is not one single plug-in established within the softaculous environment… And there are a bunch installed and the WordPress environment.

Also I seen softaculous alternatives, can you provide any insight as to if I chose an alternative, with that lead to any complications?

Solace-ken, I know we just met, and I don’t mean to be to forward…but you are already becoming my very own “Person Jesus”! lmfao

I realize I asked a couple different questions in that reply…If you would like me to separate those questions and individually enter them into your database, and please let me know. Show my appreciation I will gladly do that for you.

1 Like

I don’t have WordPress installed on softaculous

Weren’t you trying to login to your backend admin account the other day? What were you logging in to? If you go to InfinityFree login > Softaculous Installer there should be something that says “WordPress Manager”. I think that is what you are looking for. That allows you to administer the local copy of WordPress that you are running on your InfinityFree domain.

I should refrain from what I am currently doing and that is feeling my plugin-coffers in that third-party environment.

Most the plugins on WordPress add a lot of bloat and overhead. They slow down your installation and cause other issues. I would only install the plugins you need. If you need a test account, you can set up a 2nd InfinityFree account and install it to that new domain. That way you can play around with plugins without messing up your main installation. Try to keep that one as lean as possible to avoid issues with usage limits on free accounts.

do I have to go out and pick through all of the plugins again?

In the WordPress (local) admin there is a menu option called “Plugins”. That’s where you go to see what you have installed and to install new ones.

The thing you are calling the “WordPress environment” is really just WordPress.com. That’s where the plugins are coming from. They have the master database of plugins. When you are installing them from your local installation of WordPress you are actually installing them from the WordPress.com servers. But, just ignore WordPress.com and do everything from your local admin page.

Also I seen softaculous alternatives, can you provide any insight as to if I chose an alternative, with that lead to any complications?

I would stick with Softaculous. It’s already integrated into InfinityFree and works well. If you install 3rd party app installers they may (or may not) work with the local server setup. Softaculous pretty much has everything you would need (including Javascript libraries).

I know we just met, and I don’t mean to be to forward…but you are already becoming my very own “Person Jesus”! lmfao

I’m not that good. But, I appreciate the kind words. I’m glad I could help.

2 Likes

Yes that was me the other day.

It’s been a little confusing.
Most of everything you said prior made sense but I still have a slight Gap in the perceptual-connection.

To reiterate:
Entering inside softaculous I now have an environment that currently has ZERO plugins. I go to the admin space and there is the WordPress icon that when I click takes me to my website which is now in a completely different environment which I am assuming is Wordpress. Also inside softaculous environment one of the first plugins shown, in the plugin list, is WordPress, and there is an icon there that says “install”… When, I go to the plugins-section and look inside softaculous it says empty… So I guess it’s just a default-mechanism? Prepackaged?

So I want to stop going to the admin and entering the site. And what I want to do is set up everything inside softaculous. And after I build this site directly on softaculous, how do I delete the other version…

Why does this seem so simple to me, yet I cannot make the perceptual link? lol

Sorry for not quite understanding the first time.

1 Like

You have to use the WordPress admin tool to do everything on your WordPress site. Softaculous screen gives you an overview of your WordPress settings. This is where it shows you updates to WordPress and plugins you have installed. But Administration is done via WordPress site tool.

3 Likes

Got’cha! Thanks…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.