Previously owned subdomin not available

Website URL

https://chiucs123.epizy.com/

Error Message

N.A.

Other Information

Hi Support.

I have previously used this subdomain for development back in 2016 and understandably the contents have been removed and unrecoverable. However when I try to recreate the website the subdomain is no longer available for creation, and the live site is currently showing ads that are not related. There is no way I can take back the subdomain for development work and it’s impacting SEO.

From the deactivation history records in the control panel, the website is deleted on 2016-07-11 07:01 under the name fceu_17859013.

Are there any ways that we can restore the subdomain? The subdomain is the main concern, while we can always upload new content, so it doesn’t matter if it comes back blank.

Thanks.

I’m sorry, but the epizy.com domain is being sunset so it’s no longer possible to create subdomains with it. This includes creating subdomains on accounts you’ve owned before.

I’m surprised that this domain could be impacting your SEO though. As far as I can tell, you briefly had this domain on an account in 2016, had it for a few months, then it was inactive and finally it was deleted. For the almost seven years since then, the domain appears to have been unused.

Can you please explain a bit more about how a subdomain that existed for three months seven years ago is impacting your SEO today?

6 Likes

Hi admin,

I started my web journey with free hostings back quite some years ago. The first webite that I host is on zymic, the predecessor of InfinityFree. In the early days free web hostings are not as stable as what we have today and there are many FTP downtimes, so eventually I self hosted a while before putting the buck to getting a permanent domain. But I still have half the things on free hosting via the subdomains that I had before. That is why early free subdomains could impact my name as search engines recognizes the domain name and types and associate traffic of similar names to my main domain.

I usually check back on free hostings to see how things evolved over time and try some new tiny projects that are not yet production/market ready or work as a sandbox for code snippets - the lighter workload stuff. I have then learned more about SEO when I enter university and started building awareness to have tools monitoring my domain SEO performance like Ahrefs and Semrush, which gave me insights of how my traffic and what factors in my current rankings.

I’m also surprised that those platforms actually had almost the full trail of almost all free hosting subdomains before and has those accounted into my current domain as search engines sees these as the website development history and there are some weightings in domain credibility, or DR in Ahrefs language. For the ones that went down, they stayed down forever -rip, so those are categorized as lost traffic.

There are also some that are completely unrelated and I can disvow those with Google, however there are free hosting ones the I have used before which are the good ones and I still kept records for whatever I had worked on, those of which I might not have to disvow against. However for epizy, it became a ads page with a negative SEO word “free movies”, this is where the search engine comes flagging, so I thoguht maybe it’s because the subdomain is empty and it was temporary monetized and I can reinstate it and maybe place some small projects using the same subdomain to foster this in the long run. Alternatively, I can write code to redirect those traffic back to the main domain in case there are some references in the search engines which can indicate to them that “Yes, those grew with this over these years and are legitimate ones, we’re not losing those.” - sorta.

When I returned to InfinityFree, I found that most domians are deleted, (as expected due to expiry/inactive policy). As I have backups so I’m not too worried about having everything gone. So what I did is to try re-creating the ones that has more traffic and was more previously associated, but then the epizy one didn’t work out as it’s no longer an option.

So that’s how things went.
epizy isn’t the only one that I had this kind of issues with understandably because of the time that had past.

Meanwhile, may I know why the epizy domain is being sunset?

2 Likes

This doesn’t really reflect my experience with search engines.

When domains are deleted and pages disappear, search engines are usually fairly quick to delete the site from their search results. It’s not instant, and may take some time depending on crawling frequency, but it will happen.

When I search Google for site:chiucs123.epizy.com, I get zero results, meaning nothing on the site was considered index worthy to Google (they know the domain parking pages are not useful results). When I search for just chiucs123.epizy.com, the only result is the page you’re looking at right now. When I just search for chiucs123, I see many different results, but nothing that appears to be hosted by us.

What I’m trying to say is: in my experience search engines know quite well that it’s possible for domains with the same names to exist without any affiliation between them. If you have a business site, say examplecorp.com, and someone else sets up examplecorp.scamhost.biz or whatnot with something nasty, Google won’t punish examplecorp.com because someone else used the same name in their domain.

Likewise, if you have the domain chiucs123.great-site.net, it won’t matter that chiucs123.epizy.com does not show content related to you. It might be useful to have the domain anyways to avoid typo squatting, but given that it’s not possible to create new epizy.com subdomains in the first place, I don’t think you need to worry about that.

I just wrote that in another topic as well:

4 Likes

Hi admin,

Yes, the domain is gone from search results once it’s offline back in 2016. Any search using an offline domain would yield nothing as expected.

For this one, it depends on whether that subdomain has common content shown in their history, if said examplecorp.scamhost.biz was showing original content first before the existance of examplecorp.com site, then the primary weighting for the content belongs to the examplecorp.scamhost.biz instead, which may have been this case. In normal case, this wont happen because *.scamhost.biz wont have the prime time to begin with, and the original content weighting ownership was not given to *.scamhost.biz if examplecorp.com has been there the whole time.

Anyways, tools like ahrefs kept these records as referenece and nobody in the industry could actually tell how and which piece of data Google is actually weighting, it’s all in their hands. But what ahrefs offers are potential insights and based on their records how the web evolved, hence the analysis result for the domains to be related.

In the worse case scenario, I could still do a disavow to the domain to de-associate that on my SEO report, but then having many disvows at a time is a factor to be penalised in terms SEO for sure, that’s why it’s considered disvows should be used with caution.

For this part, the worrying factor is not about the ability for someone else to create the same subdomain for typo squatting, but the fact the page shows “Watch Movies Online Free” which causes SEO issues to contextually assoicate relavant domains to piracy sites.

I read the other topic just now, I didn’t knew it turned that way and got banned many places. Hopefully things get better in the future. :muscle:t2: :muscle:t2: :muscle:t2:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.