I set up a password-protected folder. I chose to set a username but no password. I’d assume this means only the username has to be typed and the password can be left blank to access the folder?
How? Different techniques lead to different solutions. Please make sure to give as much detail as possible. Thanks!
Have you tried accessing the folder? What happens when you do?
Either you’re right, or you can’t login at all because the control panel allows empty passwords which don’t actually work. My money is on the latter, but I wouldn’t mind being proven wrong.
I used the Directory Privacy option in cPanel.
I tried adding a few users without passwords, just usernames, and it seems that only the newest added user works for logging in. The previous ones stop working.
Yes, the lack of multiple user support is a known limitation.
If you need multiple users, what you can do is this:
- Add the first user through the control panel.
- Open the file manager and to go the folder you are trying to protect.
- Open the htpasswd file and copy the contents from there. Save this somewhere.
- Add the new user through the control panel. This will remove the old user.
- Open the htpasswd file again and paste content you copied earlier to the file.
Thanks! Do you think that process will be made easier in the future?
I wouldn’t bet on it.
Maybe. The current way it works seems a bug, but we don’t get a lot of complaints about it.
Thanks for clarifying. It would be great if you could fix it, but I’m sure you’re very busy so there’s no rush. I have workarounds.
This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.