Online ftp

A couple month ago, somebody opened this topic (Good online FTP? - #17 by Admin), which is how I learned of some issues with my OSS software Filestash and InfinityFree FTP servers.

I’m pleased to say those reported issues which did originate from some FTP timeout deep onto the FTP protocol have got fix in the new release so everything should now work great.

2 Likes

Hey hey, misc. fyi oh and hi ! I use – ah well, hate to say it – but it works for me! FILEZILLA! At this site It’s very fast for quick edits.

No fuss and fast as fast can be look at me. * zip ! *

Filezilla is a old but very fine software if you’re technical enough to appreciate it. I tried to get my mum to use it a long time ago but she never could, hence me developping Filestash to make a Dropbox like experience for every possible file transfer protocols. Personally I use it for my parent and grand parent to see my kid growing up as we’re 16 000km away from them, that mean I have made shared links protected by password and they can see all the thumbnails with all the pictures we’re sharing with them, the kind of things that would have been impossible with Filezilla as you would need to download things one by one and their internet connection isn’t very good.

On a related note, there’s a couple school I’ve seen using Filestash to teach kids programming, typically the teacher did setup an FTP server and the students connect onto it under a directory named after them and without being given the details of the actual server. From there, they can write some html, css and javascript for their class straight from the application which they can access both from their school and from home even though the actual FTP isn’t exposed on the internet. Pretty cool in my opinion, there’s tons of stuff an online FTP client enables but at the end of the day it’s what you are used to and prefer

4 Likes

That’s great news! Filestash is a cool project and definitely has some benefits when compared to both FileZilla and MonstaFTP.

I was especially impressed by the folder download function. You can just click Download on an entire website folder and you just get the entire thing as a zip, regardless of the size. That’s the number one complaint I see with MonstaFTP and something FileZilla doesn’t do well either.

I’ve considered running an instance for InfinityFree as well, but there are a few points where Filestash falls short I think.

My main complaint is the interface and the lack of buttons on it. I can’t for example figure out how to download files or folders from the directory listing without using Ctrl+Click (there are some action buttons when you hover over a file but Download is surprisingly absent) and there is no upload button in the interface (you have to drag and drop - no idea how that works on mobile).

And there is no archive extraction functionality, which means that while Filestash provides good tools to export a website, it doesn’t provide any tools to help import them.

But that’s my opinion. Like you said, to each their own, and Filestash definitely has a few extremely strong points going for it.

4 Likes

My main complaint is the interface and the lack of buttons on it

Until last months, all the approaches I could find had issues to work both on laptop and mobile but some new ideas recently came that will make it just better without cons, so yeah that’s still WIP

And there is no archive extraction functionality, which means that while Filestash provides good tools to export a website, it doesn’t provide any tools to help import them.

No sure to understand, you can import entire folders if you want, just drop a folder in there and tada you are good to go. If by archive you mean tar or zip, the tricky bit is people often expect to upload a tar or zip as is without necessarily extracting it first.

2 Likes

Sounds great, eager to see what your ideas are!

Yes, that’s what I’m referring to. People expect that they can download an archive of, say, a script from a site, upload the zip file to their account with the file manager, and then extract it on the server.

We both know that this “extracting on the server” is an illusion with FTP, but net2ftp and MonstaFTP can also do it (albeit poorly).

I did explore how this could work, also in Go, and I can see how implementing the zip folder download feature is much simpler to implement than extracting the archive.

2 Likes

that will be possible once the new frontend comes in. The idea is 1 click will be to select a file/folder and depending on what you select, all the possible action will become available in place of the current “new file” and “new folder” button. When it comes to extract something server side, if you pick a zip, tar or tar.gz you will see an extract button

2 Likes

I don’t think zip is supported on free hosting

You are correct, most file transfer protocol don’t support those things but Filestash build a lot on top of those protocols, things like recursive search, download file as zip, shared links, and more … The approach always consist in creating those things server side, in the case of extract, the server will need to pull an archive, if possible extract it as a stream, and perform the relevant action on the storage server so that every time it sees a folder it creates on on the server, a file it upload it on the server, … all that using streams and failsafe so you don’t create memory constraint anywhere with the entire things thing behaving like water flowing in a pipe

2 Likes

That’s just the ftp client’s feature, what I am talking about is, free hosting automatically deletes all ZIP that are uploaded

You can upload zip files here as long as they are less than 10 MB in size.

But I’m really happy to see that everything will be built with efficiency and scalability in mind. For a proof of concept, it’s easy enough to pull the entire archive into memory and upload from there, but that would be killing on the file manager server.

4 Likes

:o

true…

Net2FTP is a really good online too FTP service. It’s similar to most applications while keeping being online.

Love the idea so did make a first shot at the implementation, it looks like this → Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The option only shows when you select a zip file and the url contains the “?canary” url parameters. As of right now, it supports zip files only and will probably be extended to support tar as well and will get outside the canary once there’s some tests for this and the label has been translated in all the languages that are currently supported.

The bad news is zip requires to seek to the end of the file to read so it’s not as efficient as I would have like with streaming all the way but tar doesn’t have that issue. Otherwise it seems to work fine, happy to fix any issue that might come up as a result of this

3 Likes

Actually there is an upload button that only show on mobile and there’s an option to keep it for both desktop and mobile from the admin console, it’s just happen this option is disabled by default as drag and drop is a more efficient method to transfer things

3 Likes

Nice, heavy high content "

Blockquote I’ve seen using Filestash to teach kids programming, typically the teacher did setup an FTP server and the students connect onto it under a directory named after them and without being given the details of the actual server. From there, they can write some html, css and javascript for their class straight from the application which they can access both from their school and from home even though the actual FTP isn’t exposed on the internet.

" and detail heavy, also to conclude – POWER ON Filestash!

ps: Appreciate the note, no reply necessary, I don’t always get a chance to get back here. An emphatic absolute Adios! and now off for some cookies. O_o

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.