Of my website there's just the header online

Strange; if you go to the posts section in the WordPress dashboard, do your posts appear as published there?
I assume you imported them over WP and not manually.

If this is a new installation and you haven’t made changes you cannot remake easily, you can attempt a new installation via Softaculous and see if it works this time; this issue is indeed strange, and as I haven’t touched WordPress in a long while I’ll leave it to someone more experienced to see if they can figure out what it is.

4 Likes

OK but the installation by softaculous needs to point the server , upload files that are already in htdocs ?

Or anyway which steps could be missing?

I’m not sure what you mean, sorry; the Softaculous installation is automated and points to the server by default if I’m not mistaken.
If there are files in htdocs already, move them to a temporary directory or delete them before you attempt a re-installation. Make sure you have a backup of them in any case.

Not sure what you mean by “which steps could be missing”. I’m not sure what could have happened that leads to your site displaying nothing; which is why I’ll leave it to someone more experienced with WP.

What does your Posts sections in the Dashboard show? Mine show this, but keep in mind it’s an older version so it will probably look different than yours.

In my dashboard the same in the beginning, cause a default post is there, I moved it.
Why should l delete all htdocs files? Do you think is that?

My meaning was about what to do… If the server are automatic ally pointed is something else…
For you l should empty htdocs and upload what l want publish?

And why WordPress move there all the work and settings we make…?

Thank you anyway

Another thing that might help is:

4 Likes

Thank… Maybe, the dashboard says is the last version (6.03 if l remember correct)

Sorry do you know if WordPress has issues with pages while easily works with posts??

I can confirm that you are on this version

which came out on October 17, 2022.

can you explain this sentence more ?

you’re missing jQuery so a lot of things are broken
probably a problem with the theme or some plugin

If you haven’t wasted a lot of time editing pages in that WP
it is best to uninstall everything and install it again via the Softaculous app installer

4 Likes

What is jQuery, sorry?

About domain l mean that the system says : that is using byet name servers , then byet servers names listed (this is OK); that is assigned to one of my hosting account and is ready to host website ( then mention the account and the website folder htdocs)

Is ready to host not hosting…

What about exporting all content and delete WordPress?
To upload all my website content l have to reinstall wordpress , right?
If I re install?
it should I install all plugins too and set it again
Thank you!

What’s interesting is that it does show the theme footer and the contents that looks like some kind of “not found” page. Also, there is no menu at the top of the page which I would expect.

So my guess is that it’s one of the following issues:

• The WordPress site doesn’t have any pages, posts, categories or menu items configured. So the site shows a “not found” page because there is no content. Or there is content, but nothing is configured to be shown on the home page.
  • The content is there, but the theme has issues and doesn’t display the content correctly. That can happen if you downloaded a theme from elsewhere that hasn’t been updated to work with recent WordPress versions.

First thing I would do is check what content should be displayed on the home page, and make sure that there is content to be displayed. If that’s all configured, then you may wish to try another theme (the default twentysomething themes are generally a good choice).

If all else fails, reinstalling WordPress will probably do the trick.

6 Likes

Thanks, yes… Is like this
I wonder if WordPress has issues with pages because looks settings are for configuring all with posts and not pages…
Actually l can’ t build the menu… It shows me only customization drafts empty pages…
Or
I guess if it’ s Pagalayer… I can see my work on it but in WordPress editing says for all blocks of pagalayer that "are not supported… Leave it like this , remove or save it like HTML ", but opening the preview it shows the page…

And if l re install WordPress should l change plugins…? And maybe just do it all new:-/

And about theme… I don’t know… Is Kadence not working on wp? Maybe too…

Thanks!!

You could try without Pagelayer.

It could be.

The only thing we all know right now is that the current combination of theme, plugins and settings doesn’t work. You can basically try swapping around all of those things and see if it helps.

4 Likes

Definitely
I tried to use twenty twentytwo and it’ s amazing… Terrible… I can’t even make a menu!!! It’s crazy… So I tried by links and actually l could do it, this morning the menu was working… Even opening the pages… Then it changed again… I tried also 20/20 them and is all pink!! Really I can’t do anything… I realized with pagelayer the settings for static homepage disappears… I don’t know… What can you see in the web ? Is all crashed ? Someone suggested about jquery , but firefox run javascript by default… Any good suggestion for cleaning the site? ( I noticed with WordPress keeps stopping my VPN… And good website builders? Is desperating all this…
Too much…

But when you take off plugins what’s up to the content done? And if you export everything and reload it will be able to read it a new plain WordPress installation*? ( the defaulf export tool looks saving HTML … Will be including images galleries video… ???
:frowning:

It sounds like Pagelayer may be the culprit.

A lot of people seem to be using Elementor instead as their website builder of choice. But I must warn you that Elementor is quite a heavy plugin and it can really slow down your site a lot.

I don’t think the problem is related to Javascript/jQuery in the frontend. Such errors can make your site not work properly, but in this case the WordPress site itself is just not returning page contents properly, which cannot be caused by scripts in the browser.

Reinstalling WordPress and reinstalling the theme and plugins from there may help. Be sure to check after every installation change whether the site still works, because that can help you narrow down why your current site is as broken as it is.

You can try to migrate the content of the existing site into it, but be aware that these issues may also be caused by configuration that will mess up the new installation in the same way as the old way.

5 Likes

Ahi…l get confused…
Configuration
Step by step:
Being on infinityfree is just to install the cms, domain is done, hosing let’s say too, ( with parters hosts maybe),
After installation you check and connect the database right? (Necessary or to connect to enter, check or modify something?)
When you open your cms dashboard there are some settings… ( do you have to set categories and tags… Or CSS even if is a static webpage not really a blog to keep updating…?)
Chosen a theme you start customizing or you create pages ( or better posts in WordPress?) And then customize, 100% you need to install some plugins… Let’s say is finished.
What about FTP ( In infinity free>>softaculous installation) is to use just for NEW files or to transfer the ready website ? ( in case is the all website to upload, in my htdocs there are tens of files… Should I download and upload them all again?)

OK, those are a lot of different questions, and I’m not entirely sure what to say that will help you build the website you want. So here are a few different options.

If you want to customize the design to your own liking, only have static content, and feel comfortable editing HTML and CSS, then I would suggest to not use a CMS at all. You can just code your own website with HTML and upload that over FTP. You can also use desktop editors to help with the design, such as Mobirise. For such cases, having a CMS like Mobirise will only make your site slower and less reliable.

If you are going with WordPress or another CMS, you can still edit the theme code yourself, but be aware that it’s very easy to break you entire site if you make a mistake in the theme code. It’s much harder to edit a theme than to edit a basic HTML site. So most people will just pick a theme and use it without making any changes to the theme code (and just add pages and posts or use a site builder plugin to make more complex pages).

If you are going to use WordPress, you can just install it with Softaculous. No need to do anything with FTP or databases, Softaculous will all set that up for you.

And if you are going to reinstall WordPress and migrate the content of your existing site, please don’t just transplant the entire installation (copy all WordPress files and the contents of the database). Transplanting the entire site is great if you want to move the entire site as-is. But transplanting a copy of a broken site will result in the broken site being copied, which isn’t going to help you get closer to a working site.

5 Likes

Yes… I understand… No time to become an informatic…
Still don’t understand the compatibilities of plugins and staff… Cause that pagelayer came out alone after some days using Kadence theme, it shouldn’ t be uncompatible but the pposite, like linked or suggested by that theme…
And how get broken the web… Probably is a long story…
So fadeup…
Thanks anyway!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.