Niffty browsers ? anyone?!, like what do guru's / superusers / geeks use?

So, off the wall niffty browsers ? anyone?!, like what do guru’s / superusers / geeks use?;; besides the main 4 or 5 common browsers. Like nobody wants to hear about these Chrome / chromium flavours: The mighty Goo Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Internet explorer / EDGE
Opera
Safari
Brave

The internet and a boatload of search engines are all full of information on those.
I didn’t care or have the time to hangout at geek forums beeepingcomputers etc. etc. ETC.!!! so I figured why not ask the question here.

I found out that PC memory intense GX opera has dealsss$$$$$ with a host of engines, so nobody can rip them out, well except for uninstall heh! Other not so hot information found but I won’t be sharing it or even paraphrasing it, granted some info could have been fake news oriented who knows.

RECAP: what about the little browsers being used by coders etc. never being talked about or in the limelight on the net?

Aaaaalrighty that’s about it – thanks in advance, have a great July 4th !

Why not? And Firefox is not Chromium-based.

For developing web applications, well-known browsers are best (I primarily use Brave), as they have the best support for developer tools, and are up-to-date with HMTL/CSS standards.

8 Likes

When developing, I tend to use Firefox and then Safari on my phone, because if it works in those then most of the time it’ll work in chromium based browsers.

6 Likes

Thanks for replies. I’m kind of new well on this new laptop so was searching around for engine information and browsers, so far a few things about Maxathon and Opera being tied / related / linked to China and or having deals with search engines.

Not only for security reasons, I was snooping around, nothing like a good nosing as they say, I was just curious to know what mods and superusers had to say, that is all.

OH! Firefox not chromium, k, thanks.

… other chatter I’d seen… paraphrasing: I like Vivaldi but if it same as OPERA and zgoo data siphonChrome no thanks

Again Thanks.

1 Like

If you feel up to the challenge (and have plenty of hard disk storage to spare), you could always try building your own version of chromium or Firefox, enabling/disabling any features that you feel correct to do so. I tried building Firefox once, and omg it takes SO LONG. I have warned you :​)

5 Likes

I thought of doing that with Chromium since I want to learn how it works and how you add features to it. But my PC can barely handle anything related to compiling.

5 Likes

Yeah. I recently got a new PC (about a year ago) and I had built it on my old one and BOY was that thing not suitable for building anything (plus it was a Dell, so the fans were crap).

Like a month ago, I was looking into building chromium with the Gecko engine (which is what FF uses) instead of the V8 engine (which is what chromium uses). Not only was that not well documented (if actually possible in the first place) but if it was, I was looking at over 60GiB of tools and storage for each of the different components! Geez!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.