Nextcloud and Owncloud

I am can not install using Softaculous App Installer Nextcloud or Owncloud please add this applications.

This hosting’s purpose is website hosting. Using it as file storage is not allowed.

8 Likes

Hi Ziverre,

I think it’s allowed as it’s offered in the hosting application installer. From a user perspective, Owncloud is a platform that facilitates file sharing and collaboration, which I consider a website fundamentally. The term for file storage is a bit ambiguous as CMS like WordPress essentially stores uploaded files as well. If there’s a case where a user can view/show the file from the website, there’s not much I would like to challenge the idea of using the application.

Cheers!

Softaculous? I don’t believe that every application there is allowed let alone functional on this hosting.

This is allowed since you do not expect users to download them and is used to either decorate the website or provide information regarding it.

Both file sharing and file hosting are not allowed here.

6 Likes

Yes, as far as I know, if it’s supplied on there, I expect it to be compliant from a user’s perspective. However, if that application has the capability of being used in a way that violates the TOS, that’s on the user.

A PDF organization notice file is offered as a download on WordPress or sound files downloaded from a simple music-sharing site (assuming the creator is the copyright owner).

The Terms of Service are actually quite clear on this, in section 5:

You agree to not use the Services to:
upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that is of […] / file hosting / file sharing types.

Websites that exist for the sole purpose of using the server as file storage (and/or allowing such files to be downloaded and shared to others) are expressly forbidden, and ownCloud and Nextcloud have that purpose; whether they can be used for something else or not, their primary purpose is to act as cloud storage scripts, which is not allowed.

PDF files cannot be stored on free hosting in the first place, so I doubt it will work.

The primary purpose of such a site is not to store and share files though, it exists as a website for the creator to showcase themselves and their work, which are the audio files for the visitor to listen to, and potentially download as well. If the site featured only a directory listing with audio files and forced direct downloads, I doubt it would stay on for long.

6 Likes

Softaculous is 3rd party software, and IF is not responsible for the content on it. Not all the software there is allowed by the terms, and not all the software there can be run on free hosting servers.

It would take way too much time for a server admin to individually check each product, and each release of a new product for compliance and such. It’s the responsibility of the website owner to make sure the software they are installing is both allowed and able to be ran.

6 Likes

I believe inode limit will be easily exceeded as well

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.