NameSilo.com

I have had bad experience recently with my domain host since they were taken over a few years ago - it is the usual story of course !

InfinityFree does not appear to be a domain registrar unfortunately, because I am impressed with the service and support they provide for hosting. But instead they offer Namesilo presumably as their preferred registrar.

Is anyone willing to share their experience of NameSilo before I make the move ?

Thanks.

You can purchase a domain name from any domain registrer you like - GoDaddy, Google Domains, Namesilo, …
The only thing you need to do after purchasing the domain is change its name servers to InfinityFree’s name servers.

Cloudflare does not offer domains for sale, but offers the best domain renewal plans on the market because they charge zero commissions in renewals.
What I do with my domains is buy them where they are cheaper for the first year and then move them to Cloudflare for the subsequent renewals.

I’ve recently renewed a .COM domain for $8.03 which is just the ICANN price (without comissions).

Thanks for the tip. I use Cloudflare already. The trouble is that I assume that I am stuck with my present registrar because I renewed my domain for another three years recently. Presumably I would have to wait until the next renewal date to transfer to Cloudflare ?

You can transfer the domain to another registrer any time you want. The domain is yours as long as you’re paying. Even if you bought it yesterday.
But every transfer includes at least a 1 year renewal.
This means that, if you transfer it today to Cloudflare, you will need to pay one more year of renewal and will guarantee the domain name for 4 years instead of the actual 3.

2 Likes

That’s really helpful, thanks. Just one other question. Does Cloudflare provide a mail forwarding service with the domain ?

Not entirely true. There is a 60 day grace period after the registration, transfer or renewal of a domain during which it cannot be transferred. After that, you can take it wherever you want.

But most registrars do indeed carry over the registration period from ICANN, so if you renew your domain before the renewal date you’re not losing any money.

This may vary by registrar though, and definitely varies by domain extension.

Last time I checked, Cloudflare does do domain registrations and they do it very cheaply (they just charge ICANN rates). But the main limitation is that you cannot set your own nameservers, you HAVE to use Cloudflare. Which is very annoying if you ever have to add your domain to another account.

I like NameSilo though. Their prices are good and they provide a lot of features for free.

No, they don’t. But NameSilo does.

6 Likes

I hadn’t thought about this.
This is a good point if you don’t intend to use Cloudflare or if you need to change the name servers in a website hosting provider just to prove ownership of the domain.

3 Likes

Again, most grateful. That answers all my questions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.