Is the Webiste Builder Broken?

I have been building a new website, but since last Friday (at the time of writing it is Monday), the website builder seems to be broken, or have something wrong with it. Below is a link to what I am seeing in the builder.

The sitebuilder looks OK from here now, so it must have been a temporary issue at SitePro. Unless this happens more often, I don’t see any reason for concern yet.

Okay. I just checked my website and it still is weird. Ill give it a few more days to see it it gets fixed.

The website builder is still weird. Is working on this or are they even aware of the problem, if it is them?

I’m not sure if they are working on it because so far you’re the only one I know who has this problem.

I can try to bring the issue to their attention, but I would like some additional diagnostic information to help figure out what is causing this issue.

  • Which browser and operating system do you use?
  • Can you open the developer tools of your browser and check if the console shows any errors there?
  • I see you have multiple SitePro sites in your account. Does this issue affect all sites or only the Air Bern site you sent the screenshot of?

I use chrome on Windows 8. It does affects all of my accounts. The Developer Tools console is saying “Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED,” then father down the same line “bootstrap.min.css.”

Here is what else it said, if any of this is of use:
bootstrap.min.css Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED
?builder=1:9209 [Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience. For more help, check
Gettext.sjax @ ?builder=1:9209 This page includes a password or credit card input in a non-secure context. A warning has been added to the URL bar. For more information, see Google Online Security Blog: Moving towards a more secure web.
[Deprecation] “zoom: reset” is deprecated and will be removed in M59, around June 2017. See Chrome Platform Status for more details.
DevTools failed to parse SourceMap:;

Is there anything from or anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Sorry, I just got a response from SitePro about this issue.

A few questions:

  • Have you tried to clear your browser cache, cookies, etc?
  • Do you experience this issue with other browsers or devices as well?

I have cleared my browser cache and stuff like that. I can check my other browsers though.

The website builder for me does work on Internet Explorer, just not Chrome.

@Turnit said:
The website builder for me does work on Internet Explorer, just not Chrome.

I’ve had weird, inexplicable issues with Chrome on various systems which always affected a specific device. To this day, I have no idea why the issues occurred because it’s neither a problem with the web page or the software. I suspect you’re suffering from similar issues.

I just checked it again today and it works again and Chrome. Hopefully it sticks. Thanks for your help! It is weird though I had these problems…

And of course its broken again… Seemed to work just that once.