How to disable mod_security?

Hi there,
How would I disable mod_security in CPanel? I have been told that I can do this if I am using a VPS or DED host I need to log in using the WHM for the server. I have no idea what this means, If someone could lend a hand that would be great!
Thanks!
Cody

WHM is the server managing software, which we don’t actually use. Sadly, this is shared hosting therefore we can’t disable security features as it could cause concern to other customers.

Oh okay. Thanks Kieran

@Cody like @Kieran said disabling mod_security would require getting it disabled on the whole server which would result in bad security for other customers too.

If you are having any other issues then do not be afraid to ask us for help :).

Mike

Thanks Mike,
I do have another question, I am installing OSSN (Open Source Social Network) on your host, and it is asking me for a Data Directory for the site. What is this?
Thank you.
Cody

@Cody

I do have another question, I am installing OSSN (Open Source Social Network) on your host, and it is asking me for a Data Directory for the site. What is this?

Data directory is directory that is not inside htdocs directory, but it is one directory higher. You simply need to create a folder which is not accesable by web browser in this case it is not htdocs folder. It could be children folder for yourdomain.com folder, but it cannot be inside htdocs folder as it will be accesable and all the data will be visible.

Simply create a folder and specify location of it when installing OSSN.

Have fun,

Mike

Thanks Mike - what would I put inside this folder? I am a little confused with the technicalities of all this. So if you could provide me with a step by step to do list that would be awesome.
Cheers,
Cody

Nothing!

OSSN will generate all the required files for you.

All you have to do is make the folder and specify location of it and Open Source Social Network will do rest for you :).

It keeps saying “Invalid data directory or directory is not writeable.” What have I done wrong? Thanks for your patience.