Forum browser compatibility

For whatever reason I got an iPhone 6 running iOS 12 and I see this:

I do notice that the link comes from the discourse officials.Does this really means that this forum will eventually end support for old devices? :thinking:

By the way, I was curious about what is the current compatibility of this forum.(Because Iā€™m getting ā€œincompatibleā€ on iOS 14 too on other discourse forums.) And if nobody is interested in this, just ignore me. :grin:
2 Likes

iPhone 6 is almost 8 years old now, you probably need something different. But you mention that it shows that on the 14, so I donā€™t know what to tell you. I donā€™t get any messages like that on my iPhone (but Iā€™m also using the DiscourseHub app). Maybe itā€™s just a universal message displayed no matter which version of the browser youā€™re using (though I highly doubt that).

And yes, it most likely is true that Discourse will stop supporting older browsers, as it is difficult to maintain compatibility across different technology, and even more difficult to maintain compatibility when you add in devices/software that are almost a decade old (which is considerably old in the realm of tech).

So yeah, I got no definitive answer (but I also know very little about Discourse and I also donā€™t run this forum).

10 Likes

This means that interactive content will not be displayed, only HTML.

You need to update the browser or modify the UA or use Firefox.

Discourse version 3+ as far as I can see, the minimum is 15.7

9 Likes

I didnā€™t even know that was a thing!

8 Likes

same!

7 Likes

Know this so it is not my main device, anyways.

No, not really, at least in this forum.I do get messages telling my browser is too old on 14 but that is other discourse based forums.(Like discourse official/CF)

I checked the link in that error message and it was coming from a blog post in January 2023.So I think that admin donā€™t really want to update this forum now and that message was probably some built-in with this discourse version.

Emmmā€¦ Never heard of that :joy:

1 Like

Well, that was not true on this forum.As you can see this message itself is rich content.(And this post is initiated on an iPhone 6.)
The situation you described only occured on more ā€œagressiveā€ forums which already keep up with the pace and end support for iOS 15.7-

Anyways, thanks to both of you @Oxy and @wackyblackie :grinning:

Still, I know that someone on this forum tried to check the forum on a watch.
Why would I ever mention this

3 Likes

This forum is updated following the ā€œstableā€ branch, which is usually quite late with feature changes, and possibly deprecations too. Updates are typically applied within a day or two after they are released, I donā€™t think itā€™s responsible to purposely run outdated software.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.