I want to add arabic letters support to my mysql database i changed the database and all tables charset to utf8 and collation to utf8_general_ci, and the columns data type to NVARCHAR. As for my local mysql database in my linux manjaro distro it is working fine, but in the mysql database in infinity server instead of arabic letters it shows questions marks in the drop down menu of mysql database query.
The MySQL database should just support Arabic letters. Especially if you tested this on your own computer with the same charsets and stuff, it should just work.
phpMyAdmin on the other hand does have trouble with unicode characters. I don’t know yet exactly what the issue is, but I know that the data in the database is correct. So if the dropdown you’re referring to is in phpMyAdmin, then I’m quite sure the database is not the issue.
Thanks for reply, the drop down menu are located in: http://www.quran.eu.org/main.php
After login to my control panel to app.infinityfree.net, I run this command from phpmyadmin SQL window:
ALTER DATABASE epiz_24067789_quran CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
But it cannot change the character set of client and connection to utf8 it is utf8mb4 also cannot change the collation_connection to utf8_general_ci it is utf8mb4_unicode_ci, here is the out put of mysql command "SHOW VARIABLES LIKE ‘C%’ " for the epiz_24067789_quran:
And this is the same command for my local mysql database that is working for arabic letters:
| character_set_client | utf8 |
| character_set_connection | utf8 |
| character_set_database | utf8mb4 |
| character_set_filesystem | binary |
| character_set_results | utf8 |
| character_set_server | utf8mb4 |
| character_set_system | utf8 |
| character_sets_dir | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
| check_constraint_checks | ON |
| collation_connection | utf8_general_ci |
| collation_database | utf8mb4_unicode_ci |
| collation_server | utf8mb4_unicode_ci
The database user you get access to can only modify the contents of the database, not the properties of the database itself, or the database server. However, you can change the charset and collection of all the tables you create to make sure they are all using the utf8mb4 charset.
As for the page on your website, I checked the source code and it looks like your headers are malformed. Please make sure your HTML code is correct. Which is to say: start with the doctype, followed by the head section and ended by the body. And that all meta tags are placed in the head section.