A retro blast from the past!

Who remembers these old days?

7 Likes

Ah, the startup sound.

Best I can do is an old Windows Visa desktop, but with a modern monitor and adapter cables :frowning:

7 Likes

heh I still have a pentium 3 ibm thinkpad which I mostly use as my ms-dos gaming machine but I do also have windows 95 installed and have heard this sound many times :smiley:

great stuff

oh and its ide hdd is still showing 100% health ! :joy:

4 Likes

The oldest laptop I have is my Acer Extensa 5210, which came with Windows Vista Home Basic as default OS when I got it from my dad in like 2008/2009 or IDK how I got it now…

2 Likes

i would install linux on that, it sounds like a capable machine :smiley:

4 Likes

But 512 MBs RAM and the Wi-Fi card not working on Linux are the only caveats that stick me to Windows 7 as the latest non-lite version of Windows that also works with the 64-bit version, though I’m stuck with the default applications as they’re so less for this day…

3 Likes

great to see that the turbo on that desktop is on :smiley:

3 Likes

Right? Who wouldn’t turn on “turbo”? :smile:

4 Likes

I had to switch to Windows 10 because a lot of the apps I use were no longer releasing updates for Win 7. I held out for as long as I could.

5 Likes

or for a laugh run windows 10 in a virtual machine on your windows 7 :stuck_out_tongue:

ive been running windows 7 and linux mint on my acer laptop forever until recently when I managed to throw a full cup of water over it destroying the lcd and motherboard

now ive switched to a backup laptop and did a fresh install linux mint only, finally got away from windows :+1:

7 Likes

The oldest machine I’ve got now is some 10+ yrs old desktop and a 14 yrs old MacBook Pro with the Original Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), as well as its OS Disc and Software Disc :smile:

Sad thing is that Mac OS got corrupted during a system update so I could only reinstall OS and everything on it got lost :frowning_face: (But there isn’t a lot of things on it after all.)

3 Likes

Actually, I may have you all beat with a 1999 HP Jornada 720. It still works, and is pretty fast for what it can do!

I honestly forgot I had the little thing until I went looking for something else and found it’s instruction manual

4 Likes

I keep an old Windows XP laptop just for playing Diablo II. But, I don’t connect to the Internet with it.

3 Likes

I have a Linux Mint box too. But, I prefer LMDE. I don’t really like the direction that Canonical has taken with Ubuntu. (I refuse to use Snaps).

1 Like

The first OS I use was lubuntu 16.04 on a core 2 duo laptop. Yeah, nothing nostalgic.

4 Likes

I actually like Lubuntu and LXQt. It was so much faster and easier than the Unity junk that Canonical was forcing everyone to. For older hardware, Lubuntu is still a great choice.

3 Likes

I think that LXQT was introduced in lubuntu 20.04+
Before that it was still the really dated-looked LXDE

3 Likes

I kind of like that old retro Mac / Unix window look. Reminds me a bit of Solaris.

3 Likes

I think that the Solaris look only existed in Mac OS 9-
For Unix it depends on which WM it is on. There’re still various kind of Unix versions on this world.

Snaps is probably the worst package manager on this world. Believe it or not it can take minutes to just

$ sudo snap install hello-world

And what does this package do?

$ hello-world
Hello world!

Yep, that’s it. Snap’s package verification method (as well as software install method) looks super weird to me.

But I still use Ubuntu :joy: After all apt was still there

4 Likes

https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/snap.html

Disabled Snap Store in Linux Mint 20

Following the decision made by Canonical to replace parts of APT with Snap and have the Ubuntu Store install itself without users knowledge or consent, the Snap Store is forbidden to be installed by APT in Linux Mint 20.

5 Likes