20000 forum users - Awesome Special Event!

First outage in 2024, noice. I’m still on azure VPS :smiley:

7 Likes

But free.nf’s NS contains byet NS’ too. Client area is being weird for some reason.

5 Likes

Something is wrong

7 Likes

It’s different on my side :thinking:

6 Likes

8 Likes

I always look at the top nameservers when I check them, as for me what matters is the nameservers set domain-side, not the NS records returned by the nameservers set domain-side. So don’t look at the bottom side; they’re only two nameservers in reality, and when I checked now they’re five.

5 Likes

Or just tick “only first nameserver” and use NIC as nameserver :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That on dig from the terminal requires me to find the NIC main DNS server, then query that server; but I don’t have time for that.

5 Likes

I figured it out, replace the domain and the TLD accordingly
dig ns lauraorchid.link @$(dig ns link. +short | tail -n 1)
That’ll return 2 he.net nameservers, while just dig ns lauraorchid.link returns all 5 :smiley: And yes it looks weird :exploding_head:
Also here’s my gist for not so weird version ^^
NS checker from TLD's NIC server. · GitHub

5 Likes

@JxstErg1 you’re on a roll! You have been solving a lot of people’s problems.

9 Likes

Yeah; I just decided to get more active with other people’s problems today.

8 Likes

Quad9 seems to have blacklisted free.nf and all subdomains under it; except for their 9.9.9.10
(Unsecured: No Malware blocking, no DNSSEC validation) option, the other two 9.9.9.9 (the most common one) and 9.9.9.11 return no records when free.nf or any of its subdomains are queried.
wuaze.com and kesug.com seem to have the same treatment; all other IF subdomains I tested work fine.

I was planning to switch to 9.9.9.10 anyway, was getting tired of having to switch to Cloudflare’s DNS in such cases, just thought I’d mention it. I’m curious how their appeal process is; checking https://quad9.net/result I saw that all three domains are blocked because they’re listed on the IBM XForce Exchange list, so I’m guessing an appeal would need to be made to them as well.

8 Likes

What’s wrong with cloudflare DNS? I’m using it on my phone and have zero problems :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I’m not saying there’s something wrong with them; I meant that I wanted to use Quad9, but found myself constantly having to use the “Use secure DNS” option with Cloudflare in Chromium:

Every time I’d hit a website for which Quad9 would return nothing, thinking it was their DNS cache when in reality they had just blacklisted the domain. I was going to either have to find a different DNS resolver or see if I can make Quad9 work, and thankfully their “no scanning” option works great and aligns better with my overall philosophy (I didn’t want my resolver to make the decisions on what site I couldn’t visit, such blacklists were the reason I switched from my ISPs’ default one).

8 Likes

I found this old SNL video :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Speaking of old stuff, this guys been lurking around the internet for awhile, but I was just reminded about it recently:

11 Likes

that’s funny

7 Likes

Why exactly shouldn’t you share it? It’s pretty much always public to either some people or everyone. For example, I believe moderators (like you) can see other people’s emails, right?

7 Likes

Why don’t you have yours shared here, and use a contact form on your website? :stuck_out_tongue:
Just kidding - and using this before I start my train of thoughts because why not :joy:

Just because you can share it with everyone, does that mean you should? Would you share an email address that is partly comprised of your name (if you have one) publicly?

If you’re okay with letting any stranger on the internet send you an email, there’s no problem in sharing it! You’ll just have to make sure there isn’t anything sensitive they can gain access to by having this email address; for instance, if you use a Gmail address, people may be able to read the profile name you have chosen.

Spammers will most definitely hammer your inbox, and advertisers will be happy to be able to link your activities better between platforms which they may not be partnered with, but on which your email address is public information they can utilize. Some people prefer to use different email addresses (or aliases) for different services to avoid this type of tracking, and maybe detect a leak (a service which has shared their email address) more easily.

Your email address may be public to some entities regardless, it is a choice we have to make when using a service that requires one, which are most internet services nowadays; but the less available they are, the fewer will the opportunities be for malicious actors to ruin your experience.

As someone who has shared my email address publicly in the past, I still get multiple spam emails on the one I did; looking it up on Google I could find only 3 results, but 3 are more than enough. Thank you for reminding me to check that address btw, as its provider has a strict login limit and if I forget to login I could lose it.

Do you believe email addresses should be more openly shared, or that more people should have a public inbox as a way of communication? Are you against extreme measures, such as perhaps a paranoia of actively having to maintain multiple identities in an attempt to keep one’s real email address private?

9 Likes

That’s ironic :joy:

5 Likes