20000 forum users - Awesome Special Event!

When I play a video file in a web browser from nginx running in Termux, the video paused itself and when I resume, the video restarts to beginning, whereas on Photos app, it played just fine. Anyone know why?

5 Likes

12 vendors out of 90 marked the URL as phishing, and 5 also marked the subdomain itself as phishing.
Probably they all use the same model which gives a lot of false positives.

I think the biggest problem is the redirect
which jumps from someoneā€™s domain to a third subdomain (if there are no cookies)
and this happens probably thousands of times a day because they are hosting, so itā€™s no wonder that it attracts attention and is marked as phishing.
And that redirect is not easy to bypass when you have hostingā€¦
Itā€™s easy when you have your own domain, so you can easily make a redirect again to your domain or something within that system.
ifastnet could put it all on their main domain ifastnet.com which is healthy and well-rated,
but then there is always a risk that their domain will be marked as problematic because of someone elseā€™s xy website and other things.

It would be ideal to have some ā€œnotification systemā€ that would not change the URL

This is how a valuation system used in machine learning models generally looks like

5 Likes

I can pretty much guarantee you that there was a phishing site on our hosting, and Avastā€™s crawler got redirected to the cookie site. And ā€œsince we were redirected here by a phishing site, this page must be phishing tooā€.

That would be very risky. Iā€™m pretty certain that they would just block the entire iFastNet domain without warning.

Interesting idea for an experiment: what if we redirected all phishing sites to avast.com? Would they block their own site?

8 Likes

Hi Admin and Oxy,

I think it would be better for iFastNet to launch the change notify Avast immediately and have this link whitelisted before hand, given that redirecting to another subdomain instead of returning the error on spot isnā€™t a common practise.

Cheers!

6 Likes

iFastNet can make the website itself return the ā€œPlease enable cookieā€ message when the value of i is 3 (e.g Example Domain itself would return the message instead if redirecting)

Shouldnā€™t be too high IQ to implement.

5 Likes

Weā€™ve been on php 8.2 for a few weeks and php 8.3 is already out now ! Since iFN seemed on top of the updates and upgrades there for a while are we gonna get 8.3 soon :eyes: ?

7 Likes

Seems overkill to me. More understandable if they immediatelly upgrade when PHP 9.0 (10? Dont we all hate the number 9) comes out.

7 Likes

Uh, no?

3 Likes

Windows referenceā€¦

6 Likes

Realistically, I do not think so. We ā€œjustā€ upgraded to PHP 8.2, with quite some bumps along the way, bumps that I expect could likely be met in a future PHP upgrade as well. PHP 8.2 is still supported by the PHP team, and free hosting has switched to an ā€œone versionā€ policy, so without restoring a version selector functionality, forcing PHP 8.3 could cause websites to break once more (not as much as a major version upgrade, but still) and would be more trouble than it is worth.

Iā€™d expect the plans for the next update to take place when PHP 8.2 reaches its final months towards active support expiring (there is also the scenario of this happening on the final months before EOL instead, but I would like to think optimistically).

9 Likes

I donā€™t hate any number. Also I hate how in this forum when a full screen ad shows, closing it would reload the entire forum :unamused:

7 Likes

But even when I stay on this topic, I still earned regular. Huh.

6 Likes

Well, you did post in 12 other topics this monthā€¦

https://forum.infinityfree.com/search?expanded=true&q=%40TiffanyLynch%20after%3A2023-11-01%20%20max_posts%3A2000

6 Likes

Yup, itā€™s when the problem is a simple one and nobody replied yet

Fun Fact

Did you know when you check if a music video on youtube is embeddable but it says ā€œvideo unavailableā€ instead? It was the license provider for the music video to check if thereā€™s a referer header returned for a music video to be actually embedded in a webpage. Woah :exploding_head:

So letā€™s rebuild my playlist :smiley:

6 Likes

Ha, as if virus scanner companies would even think of providing such an option.

The aes.js file is also being served on every domain always. Registering a special path for the cookie page and serving that from every domain should be possible I think.

I hope not. New releases like that tend to have some bugs on the .0 version that were missed in development. And then it may still take some time for all software to be tested and updated to support the new version.

I would wait for half a year for all software to be updated and most upstream bugs to be solved.

Many of the bumps youā€™re talking about happened because:

• Updating from PHP 7 to PHP 8 was quite a bit leap.
  • They made some changes to how PHP is setup in the first place (with all the disabled functions and extensions and so on).

The PHP installation on free hosting used to contain a lot of custom patches (for example to provide mysql_* functions on PHP 7). With the PHP 8 upgrade, a lot of those customizations were thrown out to make things simpler and more standard. And instead of trying to make PHP 8 work on CentOS 6 (which some servers still run), everything now runs on new AlmaLinux servers.

Because of the simplification, building PHP 8.3 for free hosting should be much simpler. And since ā€œthe bullet has been bitā€ with the PHP 8.2 update to simplify things, the number of changes should be much smaller too.

And because all servers were just upgraded to new AlmaLinux, itā€™s a lot more feasible to just update PHP in-place and not rebuild and migrate all the servers.

The PHP 8.2 upgrade was painful because it included a lot of extra changes to make things simpler. The PHP 8.3 upgrade is where we can bear the fruits of these changes and have a fast and smooth upgrade.

10 Likes

A little side question if you donā€™t mind. Been using MAMP on my windows development server and it has support for PHP 8/8.1 and has bugs which are more of annoyance at this point for me like shutdown servers doesnā€™t shutdown MySql, have to forcefully kill it for restarting Apache amongst others. Is there any better PHP/MySQL stack for windows that supports 8.2/8.3 and gives independent control to both PHP/MySQL?

2 Likes

XAMPP and WampServer are the ones that come in mind to me, with the latter also coming with PHP 8.3, then I donā€™t know about the others.

Itā€™s also been a while since I didnā€™t touch this topic for posting!

7 Likes

I liked Laragon back to when I had web projects personally.

4 Likes

Me personally? I use Nginx and PHP. You can choose whichever Php version you want. Run a fastcgi server in the background using RunHiddenConsole and install Nginx as a service using nssm. If you need MySql, Iā€™d just recommend that you get like XAMPP and then turn off and disable all of the services except for MySQL. If you want htaccess support then either skip using Nginx entirely or use it as a reverse proxy to Apache. This is what I did for a long time. Feel free to pm me if you want more detailed about how I have my setup.

4 Likes

In my opinion using Nginx along side apache locally is over complicating the matter, the reason why Nginx is used in first place is because it handles traffic better than Apache does hence using benefits of both. You have no such problem in local development and Apache on its own can get you started.

4 Likes