20000 forum users - Awesome Special Event!

Maybe, it could be caused by the DDoS. I think most of the servers are on a networked file system, and although those should be resilient against network problems, it’s possible that some nasty combination of circumstances caused problems.

I have no idea whether this is really the cause or how likely this is. This is all just hypothetical.

RAID protects you against the failure of a particular disk, but there are other issues which it does not protect against. I was told the problem was file system corruption, which means it’s a problem higher up than RAID.

Free hosting runs a mix of different hardware, configurations and OS versions. There are physical machines and VMs, and systems running CentOS 6, AlmaLinux 8, and maybe CentOS 7 too.

I guess it would be more convenient to manage if everything was homogeneous, but the times I remember where servers were migrated, this often resulted in a lot of problems and downtime for websites too. So going the “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it” route has it’s merits.

Also, from what I can tell, these IPs are fairly new.

10 Likes

One of the problems with it is the unpatched vulnerabilities. Certains applications such as php stop providing security patches after a specific version reaches its EOL, hence keeping it untouched because it works isn’t a good reason.

Even new hardwares let alone old ones have their own share of problems, one of the most recent problems is the not-so-newly discovered vulnerability in most of the Intel CPUs which is patched by a specific firmware update (+loss of performance)

8 Likes

I am so confused.
I can’t connect to ftpupload.net using Filezilla or my localhost project because the connection times out.
I assumed it was a server issue until I tried a web ftp client like https://webftp.dreamhost.com/ and it was all working out fine?

Edit: Appears to be a problem with either my computer’s firewall or my ISP.

6 Likes

Yeah, that happened to me as well when I used the school’s wifi.

Check if FTP connections are blocked by either your computer/router’s firewall or your isp.

6 Likes

I don’t think that’s a thing anymore, but you said “or equivalent”, so makes sense

3 Likes

Now I finally know why does the account ‘system’ got 7 (was 6 before I figured out) likes:

God knows how did I discovered this…

5 Likes

Now 8

4 Likes

Now I added another like to it so it’s now 9!

4 Likes

10 now

5 Likes

Welcome back @YT_Xaos!

6 Likes

Yeh, Welcome back!

First PSEO class in-person (basically free college in high school) today. Lez go and wish me luck!

6 Likes

Good luck!

4 Likes

Anyone know who this guy is? I had some fun messing around with it today

(This is on a Windows 11 machine btw)

5 Likes

Oh god I hate the IE dev console! And it actually really bothers me the roundabout way that you have launch the dev console when using IE mode in Edge.

That’s why I just launch the app itself (works in 11 and 10 trust me I’ve tested it):

CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application").Visible=true

Just put it in a .vbs file and double click to run and u have an IE window! Or you could do the same thing in C# but I see no reason to do it that way.

8 Likes

Oh, that’s a good way to do it. I just have the “Run” command pinned to my clipboard.

8 Likes

and near the end a cat in hand :hugs: :heart_eyes: :muscle: :smiley_cat:
video → https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1693922011951542408

Screenshot 2023-08-22 161839

5 Likes

GitHub got worse! " GitHub users are now required to enable two-factor authentication as an additional security measure. Your activity on GitHub includes you in this requirement. You will need to enable two-factor authentication on your account before October 05, 2023, or be restricted from account actions."

1 Like

That’s kind of a good thing, not a bad thing …

4 Likes

I just got that 3 hours ago.

Things are worse for me as GitHub don’t accept Chinese phone numbers — so I’m bound to use some authenticators that I’ve never heard of before. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Where do you get that notification?

1 Like