Wordpress and server load on free hosting plan

I’d like to rebuild my website on the free hosting plan but I don’t want wordpress even checking for updates without me logging in and telling it to. I want my wordpress website to be as small a burden on the server load as possible. is there a way to make this happen? In a nut shell I don’t want wordpresss to ever check for ANY updates at all unless I login and manually tell it to check for updates. is this possible? if not I’m never going to use wordpress on a free hosting service ever again.

1 Like

Hi and welcome back to the forum! There is a pretty good guide written by one of the members of the forum on how to install WordPress correctly on free hosting:

Even if it is a new website, you should play it safe by adding this on your wp-config.php file after installing WordPress, where it tells you where to add custom lines:

define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false );

Like so, you’ll disable automatic updates for WordPress. If you ever want to update, you can do so via Softaculous itself when there is a new version.

9 Likes

Thanks for the reply but that doesn’t really answer my question.

it does

3 Likes

This may be what you’re looking for:

Specifically, this line:

define( 'AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED', true );

@JxstErg1’s answer should also apply, though, it just doesn’t stop some extremely minor things such as translations (which shouldn’t put that much of a burden on the server load anyway).

8 Likes

Thanks for the replies and info. After reading the “Configuring Automatic Background Updates” that’s the info I was looking for. Looks like wordpress for my website is back on the menu :slight_smile: I really didn’t want to code the whole thing in HTML5 and CSS3 manually.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.