Why can't I access my site with FTP or File Manager?

Username (e.g. epiz_XXX) or Website URL

epiz_23494076 (sfl-w3.epizy.com)

Error Message

Error: Could not open log file: The system cannot find the path specified.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 393 of 6900 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 12:12. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
Command: AUTH TLS
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 417 of 6900 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 12:13. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
Command: AUTH TLS
Error: Could not connect to server

Other Information

I am not able to access my website via FTP. The problem began last night about 2200 hours local time; I’m in the same timezone as New York City.

When I try to use File Manager, it shows no files for my website but I know that is wrong because I can still see the pages on the site.

Are you behind a firewall? Please try with a VPN

My security setup hasn’t changed in months; in other words I did not just install a new firewall so I don’t think that can be the problem. I don’t have a VPN and can’t afford one right now.

Just use a free one like windscribe, and that’s the only thing i can suggest, have you tried with another device?

I’m using the only working computer I’ve got right now. Why would a VPN help me if I haven’t changed my security setup? I can understand that if I’d just made some kind of change that I might have messed things up for myself but I haven’t changed anything.

I’m not trying to be argumentative; I’m just trying to understand the reason for your suggestion.

Well, it’s the only thing I can suggest, I have seen this a hundred times and all it is is a network issue, maybe your ISP changed something. I did fine something though:

1 Like

I’ve got FileZilla to work again. I don’t know why this works but it seems to have solved the problem:

1. I set FileZilla to connect with an insecure connection (“Only use plain FTP”) and connected successfully. I got a warning message that said it would send my userid and password in plain text.

2. As soon as I’d verified that I was connected successfully that way, I set the connection type to “Use explicit FTP over TLS if available” and tried to connect again. This time, the connection worked as well.

This really doesn’t make a lot of sense to me so if anyone has any idea why this works, I’d be curious to hear an explanation. In the meantime, I lost a bunch of productive time over this so I need to get back to work.

Thanks for the suggestions, HaydenANG!

Seems like some sort of hickup… No problem, always happy to help!

As far as I know, the behavior you see is usually caused by a firewall or ALG which prevents the secure FTP connection from being established. But that shouldn’t be fixed by disabling FTP over TLS and enabling it again. This is very strange.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.