Website error

Hello!

I did absolutely no changes on my website and I have this error:

For some days I didn’t make changes and yes, this suddenly appeared, I was wondering how could it be fixed please?

Sincerely,

Internal error - Sparkles Wiki (rf.gd)

I checked another wiki which is very recent and they do not have the same amount of lines, could that be because of an update?

Additionally as a third reply, I did the mistake to delete and rehost my website, well all the data I lost is my fault so it is what it is, but when I created a new website, it gives this error:

MediaWiki internal error.

Original exception: [ZRxeu3kFkWtCTRjGcZbzGAAAABY] 2023-10-03 18:34:36: Fatal exception of type “Error”

Exception caught inside exception handler.

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

(Please note that the debug command line has been added).

sparkles-help.rf.gd/index.php/Main_Page

Is there something I missed?

Yours sincerely,

This issue is most likely caused by the PHP 8.2 upgrade. The getrusage function has always been disabled on free hosting for security reasons, but PHP 8 changed it so that disabled functions cause errors instead of warnings. If you haven’t yet, you may want to make sure that MediaWiki is running the latest version in case there are any known problems with PHP 8.2 on older versions.

Right now, it just says Fatal exception of type "MWException" for me. Do you have any way to get more detailed output than that?

4 Likes

The best I had was the one I sent above, I’m afraid I have nothing else, sorry

I just checked, and I see you didn’t yet do this:

When that’s enabled, a more specific error message is shown. It says Error: invalid magic word '='.

I have no idea what that means, it’s something related to MediaWiki internals. My best guess is that it’s some kind of data corruption issue, but I don’t know.

Is this a completely clean MediaWiki installation? Or are there still traces (intentional or not) from the broken installation that was there before?

4 Likes

Weird, I remember I did that and even forgot the semicolon which made the site crash, so I fixed it, perhaps I did that to the wrong website. My apologies then

The situation is quite easy to summarize, in fact when you take the latest version, you get the result that you get, which is “Mediawiki error” etc… without any interface, then the solution I had in mind was to downgrade to the version for which it worked, and it just says “internal server error etc…” (refer to my very first screenshot), all of his was downloaded from softaculous, so yes, I have no trust issues on softaculous so I’d tend to say it is a clean one.

1 Like

I tested MediaWiki myself on a clean account, and I get the same issue using the latest version of MediaWiki from Softaculous (1.39.5). According to MediaWiki, it should be compatible with PHP 8, but support is not guaranteed.

I do see that MediaWiki 1.40.1 is already out, but Softaculous doesn’t have it yet. Maybe this newer version works better on PHP 8? You could try a manual installation/upgrade outside of Softaculous.

4 Likes

Don’t worry, if this is an issue everyone has, there is not much one can do, yes I will try that new version once softaculous has it, but right now I found a solution called mkdocs hosted by github so that’s not a huge deal either.

However I have another mediawiki wiki and this one works still fine, it surprisingly didn t break, do you think it could break anytime soon? Because this issue would be bigger if it does

If the PHP version on that volume is still 7.4, then it may ultimately break when it gets upgraded to 8.2.
Make sure to have a backup of it, and see if upgrading to the latest version manually on a test installation can solve the problem so that you know what to do once that time comes.

3 Likes

I checked, the the mediawiki pages are logged on an API, soo there’s no backupfile as in, and of course, on the wiki that was broken, I tried to back up the files by exporting them, but it was too late.

As for the wiki, by security, we’ll probably switch to something else anyways

Just to let you know, the PHP upgrade doesn’t actually change your files or database contents. So if you can backup the files and database, and import them on a web server with PHP 7.4 (which could be just a development server running on your own computer), you may be able to get a working copy of your site so you can export the important data.

4 Likes

In fact, the truth is that I did back up, but after checking the files, I do not know how are the files stored, as in I do not know how do mediawiki store them, and then I made searches till I find that on mediawiki the files are saved on their API.

If you mean like upload the files I’ve backed up, I guess that’s a solution, but last time I did that, this did not went well, so honestly I just believe it’d break and like, fixing an issue on over 35k files when I didn’t code a single one is (obviously) possible but extremely tough.

In fact yes, I did think about like if those were page files, I’d have been glad to just “parse” them among all the files and add them to the new template. The other problem is that even the new template I installed is unfortunately unstable, which is probably an issue on mediawiki’s side.

I guess the solution right now is to wait that softaculous supports the 1.41 version on mediawiki and hope it will work. If ever it doesn’t, that’s not the end of the world either though.

Where did you see this?
Looking at Mediawiki’s documentation myself, they seem to say the text for your pages is stored on the database:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Page_table
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Text_table

4 Likes

I saw this on a third party website, but then it looks like it wasn’t official source. Okay then, so I can just parse the db and add back the pages then, would it work?

If you have the old database, you may be able to use it with a new copy of the MediaWiki files to restore all the pages, settings, etc. of your old site, even if you don’t have the files. If you install a fresh copy of MediaWiki and link it to your old database, if you’re lucky it will just work.

That won’t fix the issue you’re seeing on our hosting right now of course, that seems to be a compatibility issue with PHP 8.2, not a data issue.

3 Likes

I will take a look at this, thanks!

Additionally, given the fact the version isn’t compatible with the new PHP version, do you think in the future it might?

MediaWiki 1.39.5 will never be compatible with PHP 8.2. I don’t know if MediaWiki 1.40 is compatible with PHP 8.2, I hope that it might be. But if it isn’t, then future versions MediaWiki will have to add support for PHP 8.2, because they also cannot keep using PHP 7.4 forever.

I also hope that Softaculous will update their catalog soon and add MediaWiki 1.40 to the list of supported versions.

5 Likes

Makes sense, but meanwhile don’t worry, I found a solution using github host.

Thank you very much for your time! I will for sure come back for the 1.40 version of mediawiki and see if it works better.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.