Transferred site to new domain but builder is reset?

I decided to make my site today on a .rf.gd domain, but ended up buying a .com version.

Google search lead me to a forum post here saying that in order to transfer a site I just need to copy the documents from my old sites /htdocs into the new sites /htdocs which I did and everything seemed to work fine.

However when I log into the .com’s sitebuilder it wants me to start all over instead of leaving where I left off.

@jacobmiller said:
Google search lead me to a forum post here saying that in order to transfer a site I just need to copy the documents from my old sites /htdocs into the new sites /htdocs which I did and everything seemed to work fine.

Generally speaking, you would be right. However, the website builder itself is not installed on your account, it just generates the website and uploads it to your account. You need to take separate steps to move a website builder website.

However when I log into the .com’s sitebuilder it wants me to start all over instead of leaving where I left off.

The website builder is tied to a domain name, not an account. If you host the same domain on a different account, you get the same website. And if you host a different domain on the same account, the website is different.

To move a website between domains, login to the sitebuilder on the old site, hover over the publish button and click Export. Then, login to the builder on your new site and import the generated backup there.

Thanks for the explanation,

However when I log into the old sites builder and hover over publish I am presented with only 3 options,

Publish
Save Draft
Backup/Restore

I decided to try backing up the site then restoring it on the new sites builder. What seems to have happened though is the builder just moved back to the old site, as hitting the publish button only makes changes to the old site.

Sorry, the option is called “Backup”, not “Export”.

However, moving the website should work. Do you have the builder for both websites open in different tabs? If so, you should really backup the old site first, then close the builder, open it for the new site and then import it.

Thanks that fixed my problem, I had both site editors open at the same time.