SSL expiration date

Website URL

echo.co.com

Error Message

The certificate will expire in 89 days.

Other Information

Hi! I have just installed an SSL certificate on my new webpage and tested it in the SSL checker, where I get the above message. The certificate will expire in 89 days. Does this mean that I have to renew the SSL every three months for the rest of the website’s life? It just seems odd to me that you can’t just get your certificate and forget about it. Can I get around it?

If you want free certificate every 3 months you need to renew it otherwise you can use “Really simple Ssl plugin in wordpress store” you have to setup in once and forget it

Since you have a custom domain, using CloudFlare together with self-signed cert is the best way to go

7 Likes

Thank you @B0binch0 ! Sorry for the stupid question, but where can I download this? I tried softaculous, but I can’t find it there. It tried going to Wordpress.com, but can’t seem to find my way there either. Could you point me in the right direction.?

One thing though: it says: “Self Signed” SSL certificate. Such certificates are not trusted by browsers (but they are trusted by Cloudflare)".
How does that work? If it’s not trusted by browsers, wouldn’t that mean that people can’t go to my page/alt get a message that it’s not secure?

Really Simple SSL – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org this is the plugin, but for self signed I’m not sure how’s things works there.

2 Likes

Thank you @B0binch0 , I’ll look into it. It makes sense to me since I use WP .

2 Likes

Please read the article. Answer is right there.

No, the user’s browser will fetch these pages from CloudFlare.
The connection between browser and CloudFlare is secured.

Using self-signed cert will secure the connection between hosting account and CloudFlare

4 Likes

You have a number of options regarding SSL certificates:

• Renew the certificate every 2-3 months.
  • Purchase an SSL certificate elsewhere which is valid for 1 year, so you only have to renew it once per year.
  • Use Cloudflare with a self signed certificate, so Cloudflare handles the renewal of your SSL certificate.
  • Upgrade to premium hosting, where you get fully automatic Let’s Encrypt integration.

Does this work? Sure, the Really Simple SSL plugin has functionality to request SSL certificates, but it has no way to install them to your hosting account.

3 Likes

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful, I really appreciate it! :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.