SATA drive activity LED

I had only one problem with the HDD so far, and that was quite a long time ago… the disk was on the IDE interface :poop:

Classic click-click sound when the head tries to find the boot/MFT sector, then every third time you turn on the PC the HDD does not spin at all and does not tell the BIOS that it exists… then you do a full RW test and find all the bad sectors and “stuff” them all into separate partitions roughly where they were detected by hex location, then you hide those partitions additionally and hope that the bad sectors will not spread further…

Today, with GPT, most of the drama is avoided… like the problem that the disk cannot find the boot partition because the disk is damaged… GPT, unlike MBR, is superior in this case because it stores several copies of the boot data in several places on the disk, specifically at the beginning and end of each partition so If one partition gets corrupted, you can use the second one to restore the first one to its original state.

I currently have 15 drive platters removed and they serve as coasters - they shine beautifully and are aesthetic :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I put the wine in spite of erga1 who doesn’t drink it :grinning:

5 Likes

I just can’t drink alcoholics, but it’s a good way to participate to the conversation nonetheless :rofl:

At least I have a working hard drive LED on my PC as well!

5 Likes

hahaa :wink:

I think we have been active enough in this topic of @lovebug
now it’s his turn to come to us in 20k !!!

6 Likes

Best use for old HDD platters.

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:
Just imagine how many ifastnet had, and they could also make coasters out of it and share with users… Every user who has been on premium hosting for more than 5 years gets 50 pieces that have their logo laser etched on it.

HDD also has neodymium magnets inside which are also very useful

5 Likes

Nowadays, it’s all solid state disks and had always thought ifastnet were using SSD’s since 2012.

could de-solder the flash chips and issue them as earrings

4 Likes

@Lanturn WB - where you were hiding for 4 years? :slight_smile:

I think that the vast majority of them were on HDD then, because in those years the price per MB was much more acceptable for HDD than for SSD…
I assume that it was more important for them to buy/have more RAM, which is more important for web hosting. SSD then had a more significant role in, for example, game servers.
And then continuously over the years, when an old server is replaced by a newer and more powerful one, it also comes with an SSD…so now (or 6 years ago) probably the majority are on SSD.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.