Problem With Changing Site

Ok so,
if I change the code of my website using FileZilla, users need to manually reload it before the changes apply, even tho they have entered it after the changes were uploaded with FileZilla.
Is there any fix for this?

• Arno

There is a fix, but it’s not recommended.

The reason the changes aren’t immediately visible to visitors is because of browser caching. When your visitors first access your website, they will have to download all the files on there. But when they view another page, or return to your website later, they won’t redownload all the files, and reuse the files they have downloaded before. Less downloading means your website will load faster and require less bandwidth from your visitors.

If you’re using Cloudflare, you should know that Cloudflare’s performance optimizations are primarily cache. So if you want your visitors to always see the latest content, you should definitely not use Cloudflare.

Our servers are configured to tell browsers to cache static stuff for a while. If you really want to, you can turn this off with .htaccess rules. You can find plenty of examples by searching the web.

However, by disabling cache, you’ll slow down your website and increase bandwidth and traffic usage for both your visitors and your hosting account. So please consider this before prioritizing fast updates above everything else.

4 Likes

Im sorry, but where can I edit or set these?

Like I said: just search the web. Googling “disable browser cache with htaccess” should show you tons of posts and articles with code snippets and guides on how to install them.

If you’re not sure where to set the .htaccess rules with us, please see this article:

4 Likes

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.