PHP mail problem

@Admin Did the free plane come with the SMTP stuff,if not how can i send mail with PHP?

I dont think the free plan comes with SMTP.
Nor does the free plan support phpMail() function.
You have to upgrade.

I dont think the free plan comes with SMTP.
Nor does the free plan support phpMail() function.
You have to upgrade.

PHP mail is definitely supported on free hosting. SMTP, IMAP and POP however are not. To get that, you will need to upgrade.

However, e-mail delivery is a very complicated thing. So if you can’t get PHP mail to deliver an e-mail, you could also try a third party e-mail service, like Sengrid or Mailgun (both have free tiers) instead. Both of those also support the SMTP protocol, so most scripts support it.

Does that mean installing another program to send mail instead of using the one on the free plan?

Does that mean installing another program to send mail instead of using the one on the free plan?

Mailgun and Sendgrid are not really applications you can install, they are services. Both of them provide e-mail sending services, which means that companies pay them so they can send large volumes of e-mail through their servers. The service providers then make sure that all e-mail is delivered properly to all recipients, so the company doesn’t have to worry about things like IP address reputation, mail sending volumes and the like.

Mailgun and Sendgrid both have free tiers too (10,000 and 12,000 e-mails per month respectively), so even small websites can easily benefit from the improved delivery guarantees of those providers.

If we use their services, will using there servers make the mail encrypted, or will it still be unencrypted when we send mail? (and do you know how to add the API?)

If we use their services, will using there servers make the mail encrypted, or will it still be unencrypted when we send mail? (and do you know how to add the API?)

Both providers have their own API, which is the preferred way to integrate it, but they also have SMTP support so you can integrate it into virtually any existing software, because almost all applications which send e-mail support SMTP.

If you have more questions about the services of these providers, their support will be able to help you more effectively.

Hello.
Not to start new topic, better to update here.

I am testing wordpress on this host. And i have a problem with php mail too.

You said php mail is supported, but WP with contact form 7 doesnt work here.
Is there any setup on host that we need to do?
Please don’t say “delivery is a very complicated” because on other hosts where php mail is allowed, it is not complicated at all. You just setup CF7 and you can send mails.

Hello.
Not to start new topic, better to update here.

Actually, it’s better to create a second topic. PHP mail isn’t inherently broken as far as I know, and the reasons why your script may “not work” may be very different.

I am testing wordpress on this host. And i have a problem with php mail too.**

You said php mail is supported, but WP with contact form 7 doesnt work here.
Is there any setup on host that we need to do?

The first thing to check is whether you are using a valid sender domain. For the best results, use an e-mail address under your own domain name. A lot of contact forms use the e-mail address from the contacter as the sender address, even though that’s very unlikely to allow your e-mail to be delivered. So checking the sender address is the first thing to do.

Please don’t say “delivery is a very complicated” because on other hosts where php mail is allowed, it is not complicated at all. You just setup CF7 and you can send mails.

Sending the mail is the easy part, getting it delivered is completely different issue. You’re dealing with bulk mail controls, e-mail content filters, IP reputation, domain reputation, greylisting and many more things which can prevent good e-mails from actually reaching the target mail box. Add the tight budget of running free hosting to that and e-mail delivery really becomes an art.

I understand the problems you have running free hosting services. I dont say it is easy :).
Now, if you are familiar with WP plugin contact form 7 (i am sure you are), there is no special setup there. Ofc i add [your-name] [email protected] to “from sender” part. That is legitimate on other hosts (where php mail is supported) as i said. Is it here?
Or do i need to setup something here on host as well?

I dont need many mails to be sent through your service. A few inquiry messages daily. Later maybe more but it is not a big number. Now i am just testing it.

I understand the problems you have running free hosting services. I dont say it is easy :).
Now, if you are familiar with WP plugin contact form 7 (i am sure you are), there is no special setup there. Ofc i add [your-name] [email protected] to “from sender” part. That is legitimate on other hosts (where php mail is supported) as i said. Is it here?
Or do i need to setup something here on host as well?

I dont need many mails to be sent through your service. A few inquiry messages daily. Later maybe more but it is not a big number. Now i am just testing it.

I cannot think of any reason why that configuration wouldn’t work here. I’ll check it later today and will get back to you.

OK, after testing some stuff myself and discussing the issue with our server admins we concluded the following.

PHP mail() on free hosting can only be used to send registration and activation e-mails. Outbound e-mails are filtered based on their format. Other types of e-mail, like contact e-mails, are dropped.

The best way to send e-mail from your free account is by using a specialized e-mail service provider like Mailgun, Sendgrid or Mailjet. All of those providers have free tiers allowing you to send a fairly generous amount of e-mail. Most of them also have Wordpress plugins, so integrating their services is very easy.