Nameserver question

Hi, I wanted to add my domain to infinity free account, but the nameservers are not connecting to the domain. It states: Unfortunately, the name server update failed:

• Reason: Authoritative Nameserver failure for domain
    Error: Nameserver ‘ns1.byet.org’ does not advertise itself as nameserver
    Error: Nameserver ‘ns2.byet.org’ does not advertise itself as nameserver

when trying to add the nameservers, my registrar says I need to ask the host to add the DNS record for the domain. Is it possible?

Regards

This is a bit of an awkward catch-22. We require your domain name to be configured before you can add the domain name, but your registrar requires the domain name to be added to an account before they let you configure the domain.

It’s not possible to circumvent this on our end, you must configure the nameservers first to validate you can control the domain name. Please ask your registrar if they can circumvent the issue on their end.

They said including with the previous message:

1.) Kindly contact your hosting provider (ns1.byet.org) to add a DNS record for your domain name (bitleaf.co.za) on their server.
2.) Alternatively ask your host for the DNS records that we can use to point your domain to them i.e A record (IP).

and then after all that:

The only reason why this is failing is that your host has not yet created a DNS zone for “bitleaf.co.za” on their server.

This is a quick fix, you host simply has to create a DNS zone :slight_smile: As per:

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.62.rc1.el6_9.4 <<>> @ns1.byet.org bitleaf.co.za ANY
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 45974
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

I am not too sure if this makes any sense to you? or must I get intouch with them again?

@Hypasonik said:
The only reason why this is failing is that your host has not yet created a DNS zone for “bitleaf.co.za” on their server.

And the only reason why we haven’t created a DNS zone for bitleaf.co.za on our servers is because you need to add the domain name to your account to do that. And to add the domain to your account, you need to change the nameservers.

Like I said: it’s a catch-22. But we cannot skip the verification. You must change the nameservers first or you cannot host the domain name with us. So I’m afraid you really will need to contact them again and ask them to skip the zone verification.

It’s a quick fix, your registrar simply needs to set the nameservers :slight_smile:

Alrighty, I shall do so. Thank you very much, They tried to set the nameserver manually and it couldn’t due to authorisation… so yeah catch-22 indeed lol. Thanks anyway :slight_smile: