launching page

hi sir,
on opening my webpage index.html is what opening how to set some other file as launching file sir.

I think you’re looking for the DirectoryIndex .htaccess rule.

but to set I’ve created a new directory and overridden the .htacess file but even though there is no effect

When overriding the .htaccess rules, you’ll want to create a .htaccess file in your htdocs directory, not a subdirectory of the htdocs folder.

.htaccess files affect the directory they are placed in as well as any subdirectories. So placing a .htaccess file in /htdocs/blog will also affect /htdocs/blog/assets, but it will not affect /htdocs or /htdocs/forum.

I have exactly the same problem Admin, is there any chance you could explain more clearly exactly what we need to do please?? I have also deleted the offending file, deleted the.htaccess file, re written my own it ht docs, changed the index so only index.php is in the script, saved it, yet when I preview my site in Joomla, despite me having deleted the file, all I see is that rotten InfitityFree page index2.htnl telling me my website is ready, despite me having told it to load the joomla index.php page… It’s absolutely baffling, is there any way I can get it to display my page, not that pointless page that adds absolutely nothing, and seems to be a common problem with every site, we can’t all be getting it wrong can we… More concise and easier to undertsand instructions are needed from you…

@PaulNewman said:
I have exactly the same problem Admin, is there any chance you could explain more clearly exactly what we need to do please?? I have also deleted the offending file, deleted the.htaccess file, re written my own it ht docs, changed the index so only index.php is in the script, saved it, yet when I preview my site in Joomla, despite me having deleted the file, all I see is that rotten InfitityFree page index2.htnl telling me my website is ready, despite me having told it to load the joomla index.php page… It’s absolutely baffling, is there any way I can get it to display my page, not that pointless page that adds absolutely nothing, and seems to be a common problem with every site, we can’t all be getting it wrong can we… More concise and easier to undertsand instructions are needed from you…

Is this the same problem as in https://forum.infinityfree.com/discussion/2397/please-help-a-newbie ? Because I don’t think using .htaccess rules is the best way to solve it.