Just a quick question to staff

Hi, sorry to bother you with this but I was wondering if you could tell me with Premium am I able to use MySQL for my PHP databases, or is it MariaDB across all hosting?

Thanks for taking any time to replying when you have time, no rush.

Isn’t MariaDB a flavor of MySQL?
In any case I would recommend contacting iFastNet about it!

6 Likes

Hi Sqweloookle,

It’s MySQL, they listed on their website, but definitely reach out to see if you get special offers.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Oh so only the free hosting servers got the MariaDB upgrade? As Admin said for security reasons and so on.

That brings me to my next question is a transfer from free hosting to premium something that’s possible? Or is there a procedure to follow for that?

Hi Sqweloookle,

I believe if it exists on free hosting, then it’s possible for it to be on premium as well. You need to ask iFastNet on your specific case.

PS, they do the migration for you when you upgrade.

6 Likes

Where can I contact them? Do I submit a ticket?
Can I use my infinityfree login for ifastnet site?

This article mentions how you can get in contact with them:

No. Your InfinityFree login is separate from the account you’ll make on iFastNet’s support portal.

9 Likes

Incorrect, I have an iFastNet premium plan and its databaee are MariaDB and not MySQL

Regardless, mariadb should works completely fine, as its a fork of mysql

10 Likes

Interesting, my own premium account is on vanilla MySQL 5.7.

It shouldn’t really matter though. MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, and for all intents and purposes, they are 99% the same, and 99.99% of sites won’t notice the difference.

What issues are you having with MariaDB that you believe switching to MySQL will solve?

5 Likes

Hi SpookyKipper,

I think upgrading from InfinityFree to iFastNet might have a different process, as the option for MariaDB is upon request for direct purchases but is inherited over if upgraded. I believe websites are living under the same infrastructure but allocated for different purposes. Whenever a site is migrated from InfinityFree to iFastNet, the site is copied over to their servers and has all setups remain the same, then adjust for the higher limits and remove limitations that aren’t supposed to be in paid versions. As the process does not involve a database change, I think this is why we are all seeing different things.

Cheers!

I really don’t think that’s how it works.

With iFastNet, you get an account with cPanel which is set up in the only way you can set up cPanel: everything on the same server. If you are upgrading from free hosting, the premium account is set up first, and then your account’s data is copied in from your free account into your premium account.

It seems more likely to me that they changed their preferred MySQL flavor at some point, and chose to not migrate exists servers over to avoid unnecessary downtime. I’m guessing that my MySQL server is older than Spooky’s MariaDB server.

I don’t think iFastNet known at account setup time whether someone is upgrading from free, and maintains separate fleets of servers for each. You can just dump a MySQL database and import it in MariaDB and vice versa without any problems, after all.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: SSL Question

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.