Is zen cart supported on free hosting?

Website URL

http://tankarmy.great-site.net/

Error Message

This page isn’t working

tankarmy.great-site.net is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

Other Information

I installed zen cart but it does not work at all. is zen cart supported on free hosting? Many thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum

For start - enable this
(and then we’ll see because we don’t have enough information about which version you’re using and so on)

6 Likes

Hello, many thanks for your fast reply.

I installed zen cart 1.5.8a in softaculous.

Is it supported in free hosting?

Many thanks

That depends on what you mean by “supported”.

The reality is that I don’t recall having seen any website on our hosting that uses Zen Cart. And usually, the only time we see a website is if something is wrong with it.

That could mean that either Zen Cart works very well, or it just isn’t that popular.

So all I can tell you is that I don’t know of any problems with Zen Cart on our hosting. Looking at the system requirements of Zen Cart, I don’t see anything that would cause problems.

But for any problems that do pop up, we’re going to have to do a bit more in-depth troubleshooting, because there is just no prior experience with Zen Cart to share solutions from.

And if by “supported” you mean that “you will help me build my website and fix issues on my website”, then nothing is supported here. We are here to help you fix your website, we’re not going to maintain your website for you regardless of the software you’re using.

7 Likes

@dayouht Please read the article I linked about error 500 and enable what is stated in the article. That will allow you/us to see roughly where the problem is and why you have error 500 and depending on what is listed as a problem, we may be able to conclude whether it is supported or not - maybe it’s something small like a wrong configuration for DB, path, etc.

6 Likes

many thanks for your kind reply. I thought zen cart is not permitted for free hosting. Very happy to know that it not the case. I will try to figure out. Thanks again

many thanks for your kind instructions. I will read the articles and try to figure it out. Thanks again

1 Like

Hi dayouht,

Since WooCommerce on WordPress is completely compliant with free hosting, I believe ZenCart isn’t something that’s gonna violate TOS for sure, as they are both e-commerce applications anyways.

For encountering error 500, you should be able to enable error_display to get an error message (which helps us to determine your issue and offer a solution)

Paste your error message in your next reply and the code that is relavant to the message and we’ll know what to suggest you next.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi chiucs123,

Many thanks for offering to help. I enabled error display but it did not cause any difference. I also tested oscommerce, open cart and they cannot install either. Really strange.

Cheers

Hi dayouht,

If you haven’t started things yet, clear out your hosting account and database, then manually create database in client area, phpmyadmin and upload woocommerce using FTP.

The automated installer isn’t that reliable from what I can tell.

Cheers!

1 Like

btw. no more error 500,
but there is no content (white).
The return code looks pretty broken/incomplete

Screenshot 2024-01-08 075748

7 Likes

Hello everyone,

I finally found the reason: zen cart, even the lastest version 1.5.8a, cannot run under php8.2. It requires php 8.0 to run well.

My free account uses php 8.2. Is it possible to use php 8.0?

Many thanks

install manually if necessary
Zen Cart v2.0.0 = is designed for PHP 8.0 through PHP 8.3

4 Likes

Many thanks for your fast reply. I cannot find zen cart 2.0.0 on their website. The lastest version that I found is 1.5.8a released in March 2023:

Could you kindly provide a link to download the 2.0.0? Thanks so much

Screenshot 2024-01-14 090649

it looks like they edit the content of their site first
and then they release new versions :smile:

Screenshot 2024-01-14 090705

unfortunately it has not been released yet

Zen Cart 2.0.0 is a work in progress, to be released later in early 2024

7 Likes

OK, many thanks

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.