Is it ok to upload images to mysql database?

I was making a site where I would need to change the images being displayed very often, so I made a simple forms page where I can upload an image to the database. I heard that I get basically unlimited database storage as long as I don’t make any big requests to it, but would it be fine to save and load images to it?

Welcome!

How exactly would you be storing the images in the database?

5 Likes

As far as I know (based on my limited knowledge of MySQL) there are only 2 methods possible?

1. Encoding them with base64 and storing as text
  2. Storing them as blobs inside the database

And, of course, you could store image in a folder on the server and then store links inside of a database that reference the files from the server. Are there are any other ways to do it besides these three?

1 Like

Fair usage limits do apply on database usage. If the database server’s storage gets filled up with a huge database because someone thought it was a great way to circumvent the 5 GB disk usage limit, we’re going to take action.

Also, please keep in mind that using PHP to load an image from a database on a different server is computationally quite a bit more costly than just referencing a file on local storage. So depending on how much the images are being queried, you may run in the query usage limits anyway. Remember: it’s not just big queries that can trigger high database usage, having too many queries or querying a poorly optimized table can cause problems too.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.