I want to understand what socket connections are and how do I recover from this error?

This is the message I received. This account/site was automatically suspended for making more than 10,000 socket connections per month and has been suspended.

Can you share the exact message?

Because I think you hit the hits limit, not some socket limit.

5 Likes

I see that you’ve already been given some quite elaborate explanations in the replies to your ticket.

In general, these “socket connections” are connections made from your site to external services. Socket connections themselves are perfectly normal of course, but excessive outbound connections are suspicious. That could point to someone trying to use our hosting to try to hack other sites or services, which we don’t want to happen.

For this reason, we track and count these external connections, and take actions if there is any unusual behavior.

In the ticket, it was alluded that your usage of indexing plugins to push content to search engines could be the cause for this. You could try to check the settings of these plugins to reduce the number of index pushes if possible, definitely avoid using multiple plugins that may push the same content multiple times, or maybe stop using these plugins entirely.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.