I can't update my installation using Softaculous Apps Installer

I have a Drupal website of 8.4.4 version and I need to have the latest version, but I can’t update it manually using the file manager due to the limitations of the uploaded file sizes and the FTP server.
So I need to use the Softaculous Apps Installer but there are no outdated installations in the “outdated installations” tab.

File managers are not suitable for large operations, so I’m not surprised about that part. However, you should be able to update your website without any problem using a desktop FTP client. The FTP server itself has no problem processing large numbers of files.

Of course, you can’t upload the zip file and extract it on the server, but that’s not a feature of FTP to begin with.

Yes, I can use a desktop FTP client like FileZilla but that will take a lot of time, and sometimes I encounter a problems with the transferring process.
why I can’t use the Softaculous Apps Installer to apply the update of my website?

@m-khraisat said:
why I can’t use the Softaculous Apps Installer to apply the update of my website?

You tell me! Do you see your current installation in the All Installations tab in Softaculous? Does Softaculous say an update is available for the installation? Has Softaculous already included the latest version of Drupal for new installations?

Yes, I can see my installation on the All Installation tab. But I can’t see the latest version of Drupal in the Outdated Installation. And the Softaculous consider the 8.4.4 version as the latest version for the new installations.
I have 8.4.4 version of Drupal but I need to have the 8.5.3 version. And I was able to update my installation by Softaculous before the 8.4.4 version.

@m-khraisat said:
Yes, I can see my installation on the All Installation tab. But I can’t see the latest version of Drupal in the Outdated Installation. And the Softaculous consider the 8.4.4 version as the latest version for the new installations.
I have 8.4.4 version of Drupal but I need to have the 8.5.3 version. And I was able to update my installation by Softaculous before the 8.4.4 version.

Then it means Softaculous doesn’t have Drupal 8.5 yet. Either you can wait until Softaculous adds it, or you can upgrade manually. But Softaculous cannot upgrade software to a version not offered by Softaculous in the first place.

@m-khraisat said:

Report Softaculous for updated version and try updating Drupal to latest version manually Below are simple steps as I assumed you are PRO if you are using Drupal because starter normally use WordPress or Joomla as choice of CMS, Drupal is for experts so in below steps I skipped guides for beginners

1. Make a backup of your Drupal instance (database). (i.e., with MySQL)
  2. Download the latest release of your current Drupal version.
  3. Extract the [compressed] Drupal package.
  4. Set your site on maintenance mode
  5. Delete all the files & folders inside your original Drupal instance except for /sites and its subfolders
  6. Copy all the folders and files except /sites from inside the extracted Drupal package [that we do in step 3] into your original Drupal instance location[I mean Server].
  7. Some updates do not include changes to setting.php and some do. If the update release includes changes to settings.php you will need to replace your old settings.php in …/sites/default/ with the new one, and then edit the site-specific entries (eg database name, user, and password) in the setting file[Also search Google for Sample setting.php of Drupal].
  8. If you have modified files such as robots.txt re-apply those changes to the new files.
  9. Your Favicon will also deleted reupload it as favicon.ico
  10. Login to your site as administrator
  11. Run update.php by navigating to YourSite.com/update.php and follow the process to update your Drupal instance
  12. Disable maintenance mode [that we enabled in Section 4]
  13. You are updated

To be honest the guide is OLD but OLD is Gold

@Admin said:

@m-khraisat said:

Then it means Softaculous doesn’t have Drupal 8.5 yet. Either you can wait until Softaculous adds it, or you can upgrade manually. But Softaculous cannot upgrade software to a version not offered by Softaculous in the first place.

I think that the Softaculous always offer the newest versions of the Drupal:
https://www.softaculous.com/apps/cms/Drupal

It’s just a problem related to the Softaculous Apps Installer of the cPanel. But anyway, I will upgrade my installation manually.

@Ranakhas said:

@m-khraisat said:

Report Softaculous for updated version and try updating Drupal to latest version manually Below are simple steps as I assumed you are PRO if you are using Drupal because starter normally use WordPress or Joomla as choice of CMS, Drupal is for experts so in below steps I skipped guides for beginners

5. Delete all the files & folders inside your original Drupal instance except for /sites and its subfolders
  6. Copy all the folders and files except /sites from inside the extracted Drupal package [that we do in step 3] into your original Drupal instance location[I mean Server].
  7. Some updates do not include changes to setting.php and some do. If the update release includes changes to settings.php you will need to replace your old settings.php in …/sites/default/ with the new one, and then edit the site-specific entries (eg database name, user, and password) in the setting file[Also search Google for Sample setting.php of Drupal].
  8. If you have modified files such as robots.txt re-apply those changes to the new files.
  11. Run update.php by navigating to YourSite.com/update.php and follow the process to update your Drupal instance
  13. You are updated

I reported Softaculous many times.
Thank you for this guide, and you can find the steps in this video too:

@m-khraisat said:

@Ranakhas said:

@m-khraisat said:

13. You are updated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUIdn7-A62Q

Are you a YouTuber?

@Ranakhas said:

@m-khraisat said:

@Ranakhas said:

@m-khraisat said:

13. You are updated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUIdn7-A62Q

Are you a YouTuber?

No, I am a developer. :slight_smile: