Htaccess and index

### Website URL

(please specify the URL of the site on which you are experiencing the problem)

Error Message

(please share the FULL error message you see, if applicable)

Other Information

I’ve uploaded my original WP files to the Wordpress directory.

I’ve edited the htaccess and index files.

The site loads as a blank page.

If anyone can please advise, I’ve been doing it for a lot of hours, thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

When I visit your website, I get an HTTP Error 500.

7 Likes

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately it’s beyond my skill level so I can’t proceed but I do appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge, thank you so much.

1 Like

That’s OK. I’m sure someone here can help you. That would not be me because I have no experience or knowledge of WordPress.

5 Likes

Have you done this?

And this?

There’s no skill level required, the instructions are written so that you don’t have to familiarize yourself with the code of the software you’re running to be able to debug the issue.
More specifically, in WordPress, as the linked article mentions, you should go to the file manager and your website’s htdocs directory, find wp-config.php, and insert the following line in it:

// This enables debugging.
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

Making sure that this line has been inserted BEFORE this line (so not below it):

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
7 Likes

Thanks very much, yes I’ve following the instructions and after a hard refresh (pressing Ctrl and F5) the site shows a blank white page.

I’m guessing that maybe the instruction for loading the front page is sending it to the wrong location.

I took a quick look at your site. I personally wouldn’t mess with the WordPress core files too much, but I don’t see any inherent issues in it.

I did take a quick look in your wp-config.php to check if debug mode was on. It was on, but I also noticed these rules:

// Disable display of errors and warnings
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

These rules specifically disable any errors from being displayed. That’s why you get the completely blank 500 error page. If you want to see the actual error message, please remove or comment out these lines and refresh the page.

6 Likes

Thanks again

The site I’ve set up is called artemisbelizean.infinityfreeapp.com

I’ve uploaded the original WP files to the HTDOCS directory so in the file manager it looks like HTDOCS/WORDPRESS and all the uploaded directories and files are there.

So far so good.

However the infinityfree welcome page is all that shows, not the original site page.

I’ve also studied the ’ Getting started with a new web hosting account’ page at Getting started with a new web hosting account

You don’t need to upload to a subdirectory (wordpress)
but you need to upload files/folders directly to root
but to keep all the file structure if you want the website to appear when you visit the domain only

So all this should be directly in htdocs (no wordpress subdirectory and the like)

and your WP is even looking for wordpress./wordpress/xy.file (wrong + some dot at end)

7 Likes

Nice one thanks I’ll have a look and get it all shifted :+1:

1 Like

Okay all shifted across to the correct HTDOCS directory.

Site reload shows a white screen still.

now you have error 500 again

I assume that all files are present?

you mentioned several times: “I’ve uploaded my original WP files”
what exactly does that mean? your ex website? or something else?

be sure to check the wp-config and that the access data for the database is correct

I assume that you also created a DB here on the hosting?

7 Likes

Is the content of your .htaccess file also the original one that comes with WordPress? Can you share its contents here?

6 Likes

Thanks Chris

This the contents of the HTACCESS file within the HTDOCS folder;

php_value display_errors On
php_value mbstring.http_input auto
php_value date.timezone America/New_York
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

htaccess

and this is the contents of the index.php file within the HTDOCS folder;

<?php
/**
* Front to the WordPress application. This file doesn't do anything, but loads
* wp-blog-header.php which does and tells WordPress to load the theme.
* @package WordPress
*/
/**
* Tells WordPress to load the WordPress theme and output it.
* @var bool
*/
define('WP_USE_THEMES', true);
/** Loads the WordPress Environment and Template */
require('./wp-blog-header.php'); ?>

and when I refresh the page at view-source:http://artemisbelizean.infinityfreeapp.com/, the source code looks like this;

This site requires Javascript to work, please enable Javascript in your browser or use a browser with Javascript support

If you navigate directly to the View Source page, you won’t be able to see your page because you’ll be blocked by this security system:

If you want to view the source of your page, you can simply navigate to your site first, then right click anywhere and then choose “View page source”.

However, the page source isn’t really interesting. Your site just returns a 500 status code with no page output. So the page source is just empty.

As for the issue itself, a HTTP ERROR 500 still means something is crashing. So please try enabling debug display / display errors again to get an actual error message:

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.