How to Set Lower TTL

Hello, My Site’s TTL is 24 Hour’s and was wondering if I can do anything to lower it, Does it mean that everytime I update the websites, I have to wait 24 Hour’s or something else and my DNS record is working but’s its not online, Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum!

They will be displayed immediately if you’re referring to updating files on your website. However, CSS and JS files are cached but there are workarounds.

5 Likes

Hi mrtechdavid,

TTL only applies to DNS records, all file changes are effective once they’re online. You might not be able to see your website just yet before the DNS gets updated, that might take 24 - 72 hours if you are not using Cloudflare.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Thank’s for the support helped a lot and quick, Have a great day!

-MrTechDavid

I just updated my site and the TTL reset back to 24 hours, so TTL makes a new record every time I update? I have a website and my work wifi dosen’t let me access it until it has a dns record is there a way to shorten the time or make the TTL shorter? Thank you

Hi mrtechdavid,

TTLs are record specific, you can specify it when you create new records. Meanwhile DNS records does not prevent you from accessing the site if you can override it on your end, depending on your operating system, you may be able to edit the host file to access the website immediately. This has nothing to do with the wifi.

Cheers!

4 Likes

No, you can’t change the DNS TTL in our nameservers.

A shorter TTL sounds useful because it means faster updates, but it also means a slower site and more load on our systems. So DNS TTL should also not be set too low, and the consequences if you do may not be clear immediately.

I don’t fully understand what you mean by this, but I also don’t think you fully understand how DNS TTL works.

Any DNS record published has a TTL. Our nameservers always return the latest records (there is some caching, but it’s pretty short, much shorter than the TTL).

The TTL is a suggestion for clients on how likely the records are to change. However, as with any suggestion, resolvers are free to ignore it, and have either a maximum TTL that’s lower that the configured TTL, or a minimum TTL that’s higher than the configured TTL. Also, depending on when the record was last cached, the client may request fresh records much sooner than the TTL because their own cache expired.

So the TTL is not a hard rule on how long you need to wait for changes to take effect.

So I also don’t know what you mean by “TTL reset”.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.