Hey, Guys can you help with this!...

I’m trying to perform a restore of a backup of my word-press brand site but its not allowing me and keeps giving me an error regarding the hosting execution time limit.

So is there any way i am able to increase this to a couple minutes because its currently at 20 seconds which is very little and i really need to perform this backup!

Thanks, appreciate it

By far the most reliable way to take a backup of a website is to simply login with an FTP client like FileZilla and download the entire htdocs folder to your computer. Then, go into phpMyAdmin and export your database. When backing up a website like that, you are always sure that you can simply reupload the files, upload the database and your website will be exactly like you left it (you don’t need a working Wordpress installation to do the import).

Yes, you are right and I totally understand what you mean.

But my concern is, by doing it that way will all the file permissions(chmod) stay the same? Because that’s very critical!

Thanks, waiting for your reply and really appreciate it

But my concern is, by doing it that way will all the file permissions(chmod) stay the same? Because that’s very critical!

Well, it depends. On Linux or macOS, I think the permissions will stay the same. However, the Windows file system does not support permissions in the same way Unix-like systems do, so the files will lose their permission settings on a Windows system. In that case, you’ll have to restore the permissions manually.

Exactly that is why i don’t want to back it up via FTP. :frowning: It would be totally useless!

It would really make my day if you could come up with a way that could enable me to back it up. I could via a plugin but as I said earlier i think you guys block the time limit and memory.

Thanks, appreciate it

Exactly that is why i don’t want to back it up via FTP. :frowning: It would be totally useless!

Well, by the time you need to use a backup it’s already a bad day. And I’m slightly curious as to what kind of complex permission model you have that you can’t just change the permissions for a few folders and be done with it. Most scripts have one or a few folders where uploaded contents kept which you need to CHMOD to make them writable.

I would gladly do it if it was a couple folders like you said even hundreds. But no, I’m certain it’s thousands of individual files.

I would gladly do it if it was a couple folders like you said even hundreds. But no, I’m certain it’s thousands of individual files.

Again, what kind of complex permission model do you have? If it’s thousands of files within a single folder, a decent FTP client like FileZilla can chmod all the files in the folder with one click.

Honestly maybe It’s just me that’s got it all wrong or something. But I’m running a complex WP website.